can you find specific text in a string ignoring any other text

  1. #1
    chriscp
    Guest

    can you find specific text in a string ignoring any other text

    I'm trying to produce a form which uses data & text from another sheet. I
    have not been able to get Excel to find specific text in a string while
    ignoring any other text contained in the string. e.g. "Payment for goods"
    Find "payment" but ignore "for goods". Then copy the relevant data I need
    from other cells. I have only been able to find "payment" if it's the only
    text in the cell. Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: can you find specific text in a string ignoring any other text

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:48:03 -0700, "chriscp"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm trying to produce a form which uses data & text from another sheet. I
    >have not been able to get Excel to find specific text in a string while
    >ignoring any other text contained in the string. e.g. "Payment for goods"
    >Find "payment" but ignore "for goods". Then copy the relevant data I need
    >from other cells. I have only been able to find "payment" if it's the only
    >text in the cell. Any help would be appreciated.

    Use the FIND worksheet function.

    --ron