two same pivot fields

  1. #1
    BorisS
    Guest

    two same pivot fields

    I'd like to have two occurences of the same pivot data field in one table. I
    have a date field, and I'd like a monthly grouped version of it to appear in
    the page area, while the detailed date field appears in the rows. In other
    words, I want the user to be able to limit the view of dates by the month
    that is desired to be viewed. So there are three months of data, and if the
    only one that is desired is June, they would select page June (or maybe even
    the first level row area, with the second level being the dates themselves).
    Calculated field doesn't do it, because that can only go into the data, but I
    want something that is a copy of the field in the row area. Any way to avoid
    duplicating my source data (it's a good amount)?
    --
    Boris

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: two same pivot fields

    When you group the date, group by Months and Days
    Move the Month field to the page area, and leave Date in the row area.

    BorisS wrote:
    > I'd like to have two occurences of the same pivot data field in one table. I
    > have a date field, and I'd like a monthly grouped version of it to appear in
    > the page area, while the detailed date field appears in the rows. In other
    > words, I want the user to be able to limit the view of dates by the month
    > that is desired to be viewed. So there are three months of data, and if the
    > only one that is desired is June, they would select page June (or maybe even
    > the first level row area, with the second level being the dates themselves).
    > Calculated field doesn't do it, because that can only go into the data, but I
    > want something that is a copy of the field in the row area. Any way to avoid
    > duplicating my source data (it's a good amount)?

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

  3. #3
    BorisS
    Guest

    Re: two same pivot fields

    Debra, here's the problem. I have a data set that is dynamic and expanding.
    I want the pivot to simply reference the columns that are relevant, making it
    easy to add data and have it captured in refresh (the users of this will not
    be able to constantly update named ranges and such to make sure data is
    captured). The grouping doesn't seem to like ANYTHING other than dates in
    the field. Even if I say no to blanks, it still doesn't do the trick. Any
    way around this?
    --
    Boris

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: two same pivot fields

    You could base the pivot table on a dynamic source, as explained here:

    It will automatically expand as new records are added.

  5. #5
    BorisS
    Guest

    Re: two same pivot fields

    Debra, is there any way to get the days to group into bunches of 7 AND have
    the months grouped? Seems like I can either do days grouped into a certain
    number on their own, OR I can get each day and a month grouping as two
    separate fields. But I cannot seem to get months to show up as a field, as
    well as having days grouped to anything other than 1. Am I doing something
    wrong, or is this the way it has to be? Looking for a cleaner solution than
    having to create another column of data (given that I am already at 6K
    records), which would just reference the date and take the month of that.
    Then I would have the date column, which could be grouped in the table by 7
    days (need week periods), and the month column, which could stand on its own.
    Let me know if you've come across any other way of handling this.
    --
    Boris