How to partially lock the cells in Excel?

  1. #1
    Locking cels in Excel
    Guest

    How to partially lock the cells in Excel?

    Hi,

    I have developed a check list survey using Excel, however, my problem is
    that I want to lock certain cells that contains questions such that other
    users are unable to change the content in these cells. The user is only to be
    gives access to hook off the checkboxes or to write in defined cells.

    I am using Excel version 2000. Anyone who can help me on this?

    How can I partially lock the cells in the worksheet?

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How to partially lock the cells in Excel?

    Hi

    On your sheet, mark the range of cells in which you want responses.
    Format>Cells>Protection and remove the check mark in Locked.
    Tools>Protection>Protect Sheet.
    You may use a password if required (be sure to make a note of it), but also
    be aware that it is not foolproof. There are many publicly available
    algorithms for cracking these passwords.

    It will however protect the cells from inadvertent overwriting and will
    deter the inexperienced user.

    Regards

    Roger Govier