Append workbook into a "Master" workbook

  1. #1
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Append workbook into a "Master" workbook

    We are looking at having separate workbooks (with one worksheet) to track
    time worked on specific portions of a project. I'm envisioning that each
    person working on the project will have their own workbook. The header row
    will be the same in all workbooks.

    What I want to do is be able to easily append data from each individual
    workbook into a "master" workbook. Has anyone done this and what's the best
    way? I could use indirect.ext to get there with VLOOKUP, but there may be a
    better way.

    Thanks in advance,
    Barb Reinhardt

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Append workbook into a "Master" workbook

    Hi Barb

    I have example code here to do this
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm

    And with formulas
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/summary2.htm

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: Append workbook into a "Master" workbook

    Ron,

    It's copying what I want (Example 7 and 8?) I want to do the following:

    1 - Copy only the values in the cells (not the formula)
    2 - The last row of data should be defined by the last row where data is
    entered in Column A.
    3 - Copy only a specific work week which is saved in one column of data

    Thanks,
    Barb

  4. #4
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: Append workbook into a "Master" workbook

    I also want to have a row of data at the beginning and have the "pasted" data
    start in row 2. Am I asking for too much?

    Barb

  5. #5
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Append workbook into a "Master" workbook

    Hi Barb

    Change the 1 to 2
    rnum = 1

    > 1 - Copy only the values in the cells (not the formula)

    Already a example in the macro

    > 2 - The last row of data should be defined by the last row where data is
    > entered in Column A.

    lrow = mybook.Sheets(1).Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

    > 3 - Copy only a specific work week which is saved in one column of data

    Then you must change the range

    Set sourceRange = mybook.Worksheets(1).Range("A2:IV" & lrow)

  6. #6
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: Append workbook into a "Master" workbook

    Ron,

    How do I clear all cells on the first sheet except the first row?

    Thanks,
    Barb

  7. #7
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Append workbook into a "Master" workbook

    Hi Barb

    basebook.Worksheets(1).Range("A2:IV" & Rows.Count).Clear

  8. #8
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: Append workbook into a "Master" workbook

    Thanks. This gets me where I wanted to be today. I may have more questions
    when I come back to this.

    Barb

  9. #9
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: Append workbook into a "Master" workbook

    Ron,

    If I want to determine the last row of the worksheet with the collection of
    all the data, what would I need to change here? Keep in mind that the
    worksheet name may change, so it would have to be the active worksheet.

    Set mybook = Workbooks.Open(FNames)

  10. #10
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Append workbook into a "Master" workbook

    Hi Barb

    >determine the last row of the worksheet with the collection of
    > all the data,

    I don't understand this

    The original macro look at the last row of the whole sheet

  11. #11
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: Append workbook into a "Master" workbook

    Ron,

    I've discovered that the "folder" containing the data may ultimately be in a
    password protected repository and not on a server. Can this still be done
    in that case?

    Thanks,
    Barb

  12. #12
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Append workbook into a "Master" workbook

    Hi Barb

    Sorry, don't have experience with that