Upper Case Vs: Lower case

  1. #1
    Bill Carpenter
    Guest

    Upper Case Vs: Lower case

    Each month I receive a spreadsheet approx 3000 lines long. A column is the
    "city" name. It downloads all different ways. Some all CAPS some case
    sensitive some all lower case. Each month I correct each city manually
    typing it correctly. Is there a way I can highlight the column and do this
    all at once, so fror example it would convert to San Francisco? This is
    taking much to long the manual way. Thanks for any tips or help.

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Upper Case Vs: Lower case

    Hi, Bill. Use this macro:
    http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=69
    But change this line: Rng.Value = UCase(Rng.Value)
    To this: Rng.Value = StrConv(Rng.Value, vbProperCase)
    ************
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Upper Case Vs: Lower case

    check out the proper() function in help

  4. #4
    Bill Carpenter
    Guest

    RE: Upper Case Vs: Lower case

    Absolutely amazing. But that is Excel. I had time to do this this morning,
    and worked like a charm. Is there some way I can save the macro in
    Tools-macro-macro for all work books, and not have to copy each time? Thanks
    so much!

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Upper Case Vs: Lower case

    Bill

    Global macros can be saved in your Personal.xls or in an add-in.

    Personal.xls is created the first time you record a Macro using Macro
    Recorder.

    It is used for making macros available to all open workbooks.

    Tools>Macro>Record New Macro. A dialog box will come up asking you name the
    macro and where to place it. Pick Personal Macro Workbook from the dropdown.
    Copy and paste a couple of cells then Stop Recording.

    You now have a Personal.xls in your Office\XLSTART folder. You can go to
    Visual Basic Editor(Alt+F11) to view the macro you just recorded in a Module.

    You can add more macros by recording or by typing/copying them into the
    Module.

    In this case, copy the code into the module.

    You can do a File>Save from there or better yet hit ALT + Q to return to the
    Excel window.

    Then with Personal.xls active, hit Window>Hide.

    When you close Excel you will be asked if you want to save Personal.xls. Yes!

    It will open hidden next time you start Excel.

    NOTE: when assigning macros to buttons or menu items you will have to precede
    the macro name with Personal.xls.

    i.e. Personal.xls!macroname

    An alternative to Personal.xls is to create an add-in(*.xla) with your macros
    in it and load it through Tools>Add-ins.

    The benefit of this is that you don't have to precede the macro name with the
    filename.

    A disadvantage is that you will not see the macros in the Tools>Macro>Macros
    dialog.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP