change custom format number to text

  1. #1
    joey
    Guest

    change custom format number to text

    i have a long colum of custom formated dates i need to change them into text
    in order to prosses them -the custom format is dd/mm/yyyy h:mm the cell reads
    01/09/2005 9:30 the number that shows up is 38596.39583 when i try to convert
    the format to standard text. is there a function that will do this for me?

  2. #2
    George Nicholson
    Guest

    Re: change custom format number to text

    With your date/time value in A2, use the following in an empty column & copy
    down:
    =TEXT(A2,"dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm")

    If using VBA, you can use the Format function with pretty much the same
    arguments. Both functions do essentially the same thing: convert a numerical
    value into text with the specified formatting.

    HTH,
    --
    George Nicholson

    Remove 'Junk' from return address.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: change custom format number to text

    Just add an apostrophy in front of the date. Be sure to do it in the formula
    bar.
    So if you see 9/16/2005 make it '9/16/2005
    --
    Gary''s Student

  4. #4
    joey