Data extract from access query

  1. #1
    TrevorM
    Guest

    Data extract from access query

    Hi

    I am using MS Query to extract data from an Access Database which runs
    queries from ODBC linked data tables.

    In the Database the queries run perfectly and I have no problem, but if I
    try extract data from these queries, the query name is visible in the MS
    query wizard window but it will not allow me to move on through the wizard.

    I would appreciate your feedback

  2. #2
    Conrad Carlberg
    Guest

    Re: Data extract from access query

    Can you provide some more information as to what's happening, or not
    happening, and what your setup is? Are you attempting to put the data into
    an external data range, or directly into a pivot table? Are all the tables
    in the same Access database? What's happening, or not happening, when the
    wizard "will not allow me to move on"? An error message? A disabled OK
    button? Something else?

    Meantime, you might try running MS Query without using the Query Wizard
    (clear the "Use the Query Wizard to create/edit queries" checkbox first).
    This tends to give you more control over what's going on.

    --
    C^2
    Conrad Carlberg

    Excel Sales Forecasting for Dummies, Wiley, 2005

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    TrevorM
    Guest

    Re: Data extract from access query

    I am trying to put the data into an external range as I need to manipulate
    the data with excel formulae.

    All the tables are contained in one database.

    At the query wizard stage the Next option is disabled and when I try to
    expand the query to select data it the expand/tidy indicator changes from +
    to - but I cannot view any records.

    I had come a cross something similar previously where I couldn't extract
    data from a query based on ODBC tables but I ran a make table query and it
    worked - however this doesn't work in this case.

    Thanks

    TrevorM

  4. #4
    Conrad Carlberg
    Guest

    Re: Data extract from access query

    Hi Trevor,

    I'm sorry, I use MS Query a _lot_ but I don't recall ever having encountered
    what you're describing -- apart from some silly error I've made such as
    setting a criterion so that no records are returned, but you're not doing
    that if the query works in Access.

    My best suggestion, which is probably sub-optimal, is to use DAO (optimized
    for JET) or ADO (a more robust and easier method) to create a QueryDef in
    VBA and try returning the data that way. The VB Editor will give you some
    opportunities, particularly in the Immediate Window as you step through the
    code, to check on what's going on with your query.

    I assume you're using a Select query, and I'm sure you know that it should
    return the same records and fields as a similarly structured Make Table
    query.

    --

    +

  5. #5