Multiple Write Access Enable for Excel

  1. #1

    Multiple Write Access Enable for Excel

    I want to take off the locking mechanism for single write access. I
    want all users to be able to access an excel document sitting on the
    netwok with write access at one time.

    I would also like a 4th computer which is projecting this spreadsheet
    on the wall to auto-refresh the spreadsheet periodically to show the
    changes users have made.

    Can either of these things be done?

  2. #2
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Multiple Write Access Enable for Excel

    Shroud,

    Excel isn't multiple-user. I think your closest shot is to make the
    workbook shared (Tools - Share workbook). Any changes by any user still
    must be saved before they can be seen by another computer. Conflicts
    (multiple changes to the same cell) are resolved at that time. Your
    projector computer will have to reopen the file to get the latest stuff.

    You might want to do this with Access. It's inherently multiple-user.

    --
    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Multiple Write Access Enable for Excel

    You can share the workbook.
    Tools|Share workbook.

    On the advanced tab of that dialog is where you can specify how often the
    workbook should be updated. (Not instantaneous, though.)

    And the others will have to save their changes--just typing the new value and
    hitting enter isn't enough.

    But be aware that there are lots of things you can't do in a shared workbook.

    But this is documented in Excel's help.
    Look for: Features that are unavailable in shared workbooks
    for a big list.

  4. #4

    Re: Multiple Write Access Enable for Excel

    I want to use Access. The customer refuses. They are adamant about
    using Excel.

    I will try the shared workbook option after reading help on the
    feature. Than you.