text and number separation

  1. #1

    text and number separation

    Hello everyone...

    I'm trying to do a spreadsheet that logs contact names and number pulled from a network application. Normally I copy and paste the information into one cell.

    (cell a1) Ex: Steven Tyler p: 123-456-7890 f:369-125-1821.

    How can I get 3 cells to seperate these and return:

    Steven Tyler (in b1)
    123-456-7890 (in c1)
    369-125-1821 (in d1)

    i cannot get it to remove the "p:" or "f:".

    Please help if possible>

    Thanks, SJ

  2. #2
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: text and number separation

    Formula in B1:
    =MID(A1,1,FIND("p: ",A1,1)-2)

    Formula in C1:
    =MID(A1,FIND("p: ",A1,1)+3,12)

    Formula in D1:
    =RIGHT(A1,12)

    These formulas rely on the assumption that the cell in column A will
    always have "p: " and that telephone numbers will always be in

  3. #3
    MatthewTap
    Guest

    Re: text and number separation

    SJ --

    And, if the telephone numbers have the possibility of coming in different
    lengths, then use what Dave O said and something kind of clumsy like this,
    since you mentioned the "f:" and "p:"

    =RIGHT(a1,(((LEN(a1)-1)) - (SEARCH("f:",a1))))