Hyperlink parts

  1. #1

    Hyperlink parts

    I have a spreadsheet with lots of hyperlinks, links to web sites. I would
    like to separate the link address from the display address. I would like to
    insert two columns after the hyperlink columns and put the address in one
    column and the display name in the other. The display name will come over
    simply by typing = and clicking on the hyperlink column. How can I do a
    similar thing with the hyperlink address?

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Re: Hyperlink parts

    Saved from a previous post:

    One way to extract those URL's from a hyperlink created via Insert|Hyperlink
    is with a userdefinedfunction.

    Here's one that may help:

    Option Explicit
    Function GetURL(Rng As Range) As String
    Application.Volatile

    Set Rng = Rng(1)

    If Rng.Hyperlinks.Count = 0 Then
    GetURL = ""
    Else
    GetURL = Rng.Hyperlinks(1).Address
    End If
    End Function

    So if you had a hyperlink in A1, you could put =getURL(a1) in that adjacent
    cell.

    Be aware that if you change the hyperlink, then this formula cell won't change
    until your workbook calculates.

    Short course:

    Open your workbook.
    Hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE (where macros/UDF's live)
    hit ctrl-R to view the project explorer
    Find your workbook.
    should look like: VBAProject (yourfilename.xls)

    right click on the project name
    Insert, then Module
    You should see the code window pop up on the right hand side

    Paste the code in there.

    Now go back to excel.
    Into a test cell and type:
    =getURL(a1)

  3. #3

    Re: Hyperlink parts

    Thanks for your very fast response. I will give it a try.

    Thanks