Why doesn't "Sendkeys" work reliably for me?

  1. #1
    Cloudfall
    Guest

    Why doesn't "Sendkeys" work reliably for me?

    I have the following code:

    Workbooks.Open "C:\ABNLookUp.xls"
    :
    Application.Run "ABNLookUp.xls!ABRPublicLookup"
    Application.SendKeys "{ENTER}"

    I open a Government developed and protected spreadsheet and then run
    its main (or only??) macro. This works. A tabbed form opens in
    "ABNLookUp" starting the macro. The tabbed form has a "Start/Exit"
    choice with "Start" highlighted. Hitting the "Enter" key starts the
    application. So I code:

    Application.SendKeys "{ENTER}"

    This does not work. Nothing starts. My macro finishes execution.

    I have never had any luck with "Sendkeys". Does anybody know how to use
    them reliably? I thank you now for any advice.

    (By the way, Excel Help, just out of the blue only late this afternoon,
    is not letting me enter my queries because the cursor has turned into
    this- "<-->". If anyone has any thoughts as to why I should be punished
    this way I'd be glad to hear them. Am I "cursed" or "cursored"? Why has
    it turned to custard? What have I done and can I undo it?).

  2. #2

    Re: Why doesn't "Sendkeys" work reliably for me?

    I think that this is the reason you see so few people using Sendkeys. It's just
    not reliable enough for most developers.

    And just a guess...

    If you reverse the order, does that help?

    Application.SendKeys "{ENTER}"
    Application.Run "ABNLookUp.xls!ABRPublicLookup"

    Sometimes, buttons have an accelerator key that you can use (manually) with the
    alt-key. It's the one underlined in the caption.

    Application.SendKeys "%S"

    If the leading S were underlined. It might work???

    (I don't have a guess about the help problem.)

  3. #3
    Cloudfall
    Guest

    Re: Why doesn't "Sendkeys" work reliably for me?

    Thank you for the feedback regarding the unreliability of Sendkeys. I
    wasn't aware of this. I don't know or work with anyone else who
    programs in VBA. I thought it was just my fault yet again.

    I use Sendkeys in another program I wrote. It works if its the only
    thing running. It doesn't if it isn't.

    Reversing the order didn't work, but it did remind me that there are
    times when this has in the past.

    Unfortunately the other application doesn't use accelerator keys and
    there are no letters underlined in the captions.

    It's not the end of the world. If I could have gotten this working it
    would have been an elegant solution. However, they're pretty impressed
    and happy with what I've already done.

    (I rebooted Excel on Friday and Help still didn't work. Today, Monday,
    Help is working again just fine. A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside
    an enigma.)

    Thank you for your efforts (yet again!!!) on my behalf. All the best.
    :-)