Pivot Table Calculated field item

  1. #1
    Tim
    Guest

    Pivot Table Calculated field item

    Hi,
    I want to create a calculated field that uses an if to base its calculation
    results.

    Therefore i have a field called Site which is a text and another field
    called materials which is the number of materials.

    =if(Site="Mexico", materials*300, materials*2000)

    I have tried this and it doesnt compute based on the Site field or at least
    the text isnt matching as I have changed the Site to Mexico and it still
    calculates based on the 2000 amount. Anyone know why?

    Thanks,
    Tim

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table Calculated field item

    Since Site is a text field, the calculated field will evaluate all Sites
    as zero. So, materials for all sites will be multiplied by 2000.

    Perhaps you could add a column to the source data, and do the
    calculation there, then add the new field to the pivot table.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List