Making path of linked cell dynamic

  1. #1

    Making path of linked cell dynamic

    Hi all,

    Is there a syntax to make the path of a linked cell dynamic? I’ll explain with an example:

    Cell A1 is linked to another excel file, example.xls, in the folder week 40.
    So the formula in cell A1: ='C:\week 40\[example.xls]Blad1'!$A$1

    In this formula, I want the value 40 to be dynamic, and read this value from cell B1.
    So lets say I put 41 in to cell B1, the formula in cell A1 should read ='C:\week 41\[example.xls]Blad1'!$A$1

    Any way to go about this? Thanks a lot in advance!

    Cheers, Chris

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Making path of linked cell dynamic

    Try the INDIRECT function
    =INDIRECT("'C:\week "&B1&"\[example.xls]Blad1'!$A$1")
    (untested - no time today)
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    "Negentropy" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Making path of linked cell dynamic

    If you put the workbook name into another cell, you could use =indirect() to
    build the reference to the other workbook.

    The bad news is that =indirect() will return an error if that other workbook
    isn't open.

    Harlan Grove wrote a UDF called PULL that will retrieve the value from a closed
    workbook.

    You can find the function at Harlan's FTP site:
    ftp://members.aol.com/hrlngrv/
    Look for pull.zip

  4. #4

    Thanks

    Hi,

    Thanks for pointing me to the indirect() function, it's been very helpful!
    Pity that it only works when the other file is open as mentioned, some sheets I want to use it in link to 10+ files. I'll have a closer look at that pull file (Thanks!) but seeing im a n00b when it comes to vb I'll do this with a bit clearer head tomorrow

    Thanks for the help!

    Cheers, Chris