Formula to make Negative Values Positive & Positive Values Negative?

  1. #1

    Formula to make Negative Values Positive & Positive Values Negative?

    I would like to know if there is any way to have a formula/function that takes a value from another cell (I know how to do that part) and then makes the number negative if the original is positive - or else makes the number positive if the original is negative. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: Formula to make Negative Values Positive & Positive Values Negativ

    Just multiply it by -1

    example:

    =-1*A1

  3. #3
    David Hepner
    Guest

    RE: Formula to make Negative Values Positive & Positive Values Negativ

    You can:
    - put '-1' in an empty cell and copy this cell
    - select your data
    - goto 'Edit - Paste Special' and choose 'Multiply'

    or

    create a helper column and use this formula:

    =-A1 (aussmuing your numnber is in A1) and drag down the formula.

  4. #4

    Thanks!

    That worked great. Thank you.

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Formula to make Negative Values Positive & Positive Values Negative?

    mustard

    By formula in A1 enter =b1*-1

    where b1 is negative or positive.

    Without a formula enter -1 in any empty cell then copy and select cells to
    change then Paste Special>Multiply>Ok>Esc on all selected cells.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP