Duplicate entries in excel spreadsheet

  1. #1
    Coldsplice
    Guest

    Duplicate entries in excel spreadsheet

    I have lists of attendees to an annual event. I've taken the lists and
    combined them, and sorted them by first and last name alpha. I want to keep
    the names and corresponding collumns for those that attended my event more
    than once and dump the rest. Is there a way to sort them quickly as i have
    over 15,000 names.
    Cheers!

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Duplicate entries in excel spreadsheet

    I'd insert two new columns before the list, say A and B. In the first data
    row in B, say B2, I'd enter a formula that combines the first and last names
    to create a field the uniquely identifies each record: =C2&D2 and copy it
    down to all records. Next in A2 enter this formula: =IF(B2=B1,A1+1,1) and
    copy it down.

    Change Calc mode to Manual if it's not. Then sort by column A. All the
    "2"s are the records you want. Select the range from the first 2 to the
    last, copy, and paste it in a new sheet.

    --
    Jim
    news:[email protected]...