Condtional formating -- any wildcard use?

  1. #1
    MatthewTap
    Guest

    Condtional formating -- any wildcard use?

    I am new to the MS forums; I apologize if I am breaking etiquette of any
    sort, but I'm looking for some help.

    I'm wondering if there's any way when using Conditional Formatting to have
    it specify if the cell contents are 'like' something.

    For example, if I have entries in a column such as:
    Red Car
    Blue Car
    Yellow Truck
    Blue SUV
    Yellow Car (convertible)
    Black Pick-up

    etc... and I want to make anything that's a car in that list formatted so
    it's Bold.

    And again, this is just an example, but if there's anything else I can help
    clear up about it... I'd really like to know if this is possible.

    Thank you very much for your time.
    Best regards,
    Matt

  2. #2

    Re: Condtional formating -- any wildcard use?

    If you only care if there's the characters "CAR" in the cell, you can use:

    =countif(a1,"*car*")>0
    or
    =countif(a1,"*"car*")
    (0 is treated as false)
    or

    =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("car",A1))
    or even
    =SEARCH("car",A1)
    (an error will be treated as false)

    Be aware that "Dodge Caravan" will look like a car in all of these.

  3. #3
    MatthewTap
    Guest

    Re: Condtional formating -- any wildcard use?

    Dave --

    Thanks... I went with the first one, changing the conditional format to
    Formula, and one thing I didn't know but figured out by your posts is that I
    could put in A1 for the formula template and it took care of the rest of them.

    In any case, thanks... my problem solved. I appreciate your time.

  4. #4

    Re: Condtional formating -- any wildcard use?

    I should have said with A1 the activecell.

    But glad you figured it out.

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Condtional formating -- any wildcard use?

    Hi Matt,

    Some additional comments -- finding "car" as a word as opposed to
    being found within another word such as "Dodge Caravan" as Dave mentioned --

    The following formula will allow you to color the entire row based on finding the
    word "car" anywhere in the cell of column A on each row.
    =SEARCH("* anymatch *"," " & $A1 & " ")
    If you had commas in cells you could include SUBSTITUTE as well in formula.

    A1 should be the active cell -- in this case since $A1 limits to column A the
    active cell need only be anywhere on row 1.

    Cells eligible for coloring by C.F. is limited to the selection when entering Conditional Formatting...

    SEARCH is not case sensitive but does not return a zero if string is not found.
    Getting "#VALUE!" will be treated as False (not True) in Conditional Formatting
    so it is not necessary to code as
    =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("* anymatch *"," " &$A1 & " ")
    which would be neater if looking for the words True or False on the worksheet.

    More information on Conditional Formatting in
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm
    More information on Strings (and specifically SEARCH with wildcard characters)
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel....htm#wildcards

    You will find the use of A1 or other cell as the active cell in a conditional formatting
    formula similar to usage in Filtering -- so you are pretty much set on how filtering works.
    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

    and of course use of the fill handle in filling formulas down (or across) in a spreadsheet
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm

    ---
    HTH,

    "MatthewTap" <[email protected]> wrote ...

  6. #6
    MatthewTap
    Guest

    Re: Condtional formating -- any wildcard use?

    Much obliged, thanks.