+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Copy/Pasting Gif Images

  1. #1
    Saxman
    Guest

    Copy/Pasting Gif Images

    When I copy a table from a website and paste special into Excel, I lose
    some of the formatting, as the table includes gif images. Is there
    another way of importing the images, so that I can convert them as
    something else using Find/Replace?

    Pasting the table as html pastes everything onto one line.

    Here is an example of the table I want to import.

    http://tinyurl.com/77ce6

  2. #2
    Half Manx
    Guest

    RE: Copy/Pasting Gif Images

    I have come across the same problem. I tend to copy from a web page to
    microsoft Frontpage and then from Frontpage into Word or Excel. Give it a try
    it worked for me.

    "Saxman" wrote:

    > When I copy a table from a website and paste special into Excel, I lose
    > some of the formatting, as the table includes gif images. Is there
    > another way of importing the images, so that I can convert them as
    > something else using Find/Replace?
    >
    > Pasting the table as html pastes everything onto one line.
    >
    > Here is an example of the table I want to import.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/77ce6
    >


  3. #3
    Saxman
    Guest

    Re: Copy/Pasting Gif Images

    Half Manx wrote:
    > I have come across the same problem. I tend to copy from a web page to
    > microsoft Frontpage and then from Frontpage into Word or Excel. Give it a try
    > it worked for me.


    This does not work exactly for me.

    I copied the code from a web page, pasted it into Frontpage and viewed
    the output.

    Frontpage was unable to show the images, but it would let me edit them
    and paste into Excel.

    It is rather long winded, especially if one has to do it about 18 times
    a day!

    There must be an easier way?!

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Copy/Pasting Gif Images

    Hi Saxman,

    I opened the file (file, open) with Excel, which is a bit easier.
    http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/f...ate=2005-09-29

    If you copy from your browser, you have to use Internet Explorer then
    there is a bit more cleanup.r

    Once pasted into Excel, select all cells and run the TRIMALL macro
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm
    then widen all of the columns at one then double click on to fit the colunns.

    The problem with either method is the shapes are attached to the left cell
    borders. You could right justify the text and type in something
    to match then delete all the shapes.

    Did you try Front Page, if you have it. I didn't try it.

    Probably matches what you and everyone else tried.

    You would not be able to convert shapes to a character.
    You might be able to cycle through the shapes checking
    the upper left corner to see which cell it is in and then and concatenate
    an appropriate character into the cell and delete that shape.

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/shapes.htm
    ---
    HTH,
    David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001]
    My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
    Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm

    "Half Manx" <HalfManx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:297FB933-CA4B-4082-B1CC-8CBC537D163D@microsoft.com...
    > I have come across the same problem. I tend to copy from a web page to
    > microsoft Frontpage and then from Frontpage into Word or Excel. Give it a try
    > it worked for me.
    >
    > "Saxman" wrote:
    >
    > > When I copy a table from a website and paste special into Excel, I lose
    > > some of the formatting, as the table includes gif images. Is there
    > > another way of importing the images, so that I can convert them as
    > > something else using Find/Replace?
    > >
    > > Pasting the table as html pastes everything onto one line.
    > >
    > > Here is an example of the table I want to import.
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/77ce6
    > >





    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    Saxman
    Guest

    Re: Copy/Pasting Gif Images

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > Hi Saxman,
    >
    > I opened the file (file, open) with Excel, which is a bit easier.
    > http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/f...ate=2005-09-29
    >
    > If you copy from your browser, you have to use Internet Explorer then
    > there is a bit more cleanup.r
    >
    > Once pasted into Excel, select all cells and run the TRIMALL macro
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm
    > then widen all of the columns at one then double click on to fit the colunns.
    >
    > The problem with either method is the shapes are attached to the left cell
    > borders. You could right justify the text and type in something
    > to match then delete all the shapes.
    >
    > Did you try Front Page, if you have it. I didn't try it.
    >
    > Probably matches what you and everyone else tried.
    >
    > You would not be able to convert shapes to a character.
    > You might be able to cycle through the shapes checking
    > the upper left corner to see which cell it is in and then and concatenate
    > an appropriate character into the cell and delete that shape.
    >
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/shapes.htm
    > ---
    > HTH,


    Copy/Paste Special is just as effective as importing the file and easier.

    I ran the Join() macro, but it had no effect. It put all the data into
    one column (A) without any visible reference to the gif images.

    Thanks so much for the feedback.

    If I could tidy the data up, I could then present the data to a Neural
    Network for a possible prediction.

    Maybe you could send me a working spreadsheet?

    Using Firefox as a browser, one can right-click over the data in
    question and choose 'This Frame/Open Frame In New Tab' and then
    copy/paste special into Excel, which makes the first operation easier.

  6. #6
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Copy/Pasting Gif Images

    Not the join macro but the TRIMALL macro, I should have
    included the fragment id ( #trim ) .
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm#trimall
    what it does is remove some garbage around the names.


    "Saxman" <john.h.williamsREMOVETHIS@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > Once pasted into Excel, select all cells and run the TRIMALL macro
    > > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm
    > > then widen all of the columns at one then double click on to fit the colunns.




+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 1