why would calculate change from automatic to manual on its own?

  1. #1
    sandy
    Guest

    why would calculate change from automatic to manual on its own?

    undet tools, options, calulation tab, sometimes it changes from
    the default automatic to manual. why?

  2. #2

    Re: why would calculate change from automatic to manual on its own?

    Excel picks this setting up from the first workbook it opens in that session.

    If you have a workbook that lots of people can edit (like on a network drive),
    then you may have a co-worker who changes this setting to manual (maybe on
    purpose--maybe not!).

    If you open that workbook first, you inherit that setting.

    So if you open a workbook that you know has calculation set for automatic, then
    open the other workbook, you'll be ok.

    (Or just remember how to toggle the setting and yell at your co-worker! <vbg>)

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: why would calculate change from automatic to manual on its own?

    Hi Sandy,
    Not quite on it's own.

    The first workbook to be opened is what determines your setting for automatic
    or manual calculation. You can change it anytime, but if you don't save your
    first workbook opened it will revert back. Workbooks in your XLSTART
    directory such as personal.xls and hopefully it is the only workbook there
    are opened first. Window, unhide/hide file

    You can have a macro or an addin turn off calculation and not turn it back on
    particularly if the coding aborts and no provision was made for abnormal
    terminations.

    The fastest way for me to set calculation back to normal would be to use
    my TRIMALL macro on a single cell as it will turn calculation on when if
    finishes, I just added code to tell you if if was OFF to begin with.
    I added that because it is a macro I run frequently and I already have it
    set to turn event handling back on if an Event Macro messed up, and
    it was already turning calculation on -- so I added the MsgBox warning
    if calculation had been OFF when macro started.

    If you can't identify when the problem is actually occuring it might help
    to modify your Auto_Open in your personal.xls which would normally
    be the first file opened. Then maybe you will remember what you
    did in the last Excel session.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...esp.htm#addins
    ---
    HTH,
    David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [

    "sandy" <[email protected]> wrote ...