Lost Format Error

  1. #1
    John F. Collins
    Guest

    Lost Format Error

    I have a worbook that open fine in Excel 2000. When opened in Excel 2003,
    it pops up a dialog with this error message:

    "File error. Some number formats may have been lost!"

    I can't seem to find any formats that are gone. But the book has many, many
    sheets and is complicated, so I am not sure that the book is still OK. I
    am reluctant to simply click OK and save the file. I am afraid this may be
    a symptom of other problems. Before exploring the other problems, I wanted
    to learn more about the lost formats problem.

    Questions:
    Are there formats that are legal in Excel 2000, but illegal in Excel 2003?
    Is the maximum number of custom formats less in 2003 than in 2000?
    Is there a way to write a macro to list all formats employed (or available)
    in a Workbook?

    John

  2. #2
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: Lost Format Error

    John,

    1. I don't have XL2003, however I am not aware of any cell formats that are
    not interchangeable between Excel versions.

    2. http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;213904
    "You receive a "Too many different cell formats" error message in Excel"
    The above explains that there is a limit of about 4000 different formats in a workbook.

    3. Listing all of the formats would be very difficult to do.
    The message you refer to does mention "number" formats and those you can
    list including the unused ones.

    I would make a backup copy of the workbook using Windows Explorer
    and then try the "Open and Repair" option. That is found in the File Open
    dialog box by going to the little down arrow adjacent to the Open button in the
    bottom right corner of the dialog box.

    If that works, I would still look at reducing the number of formats in the workbook.
    If it doesn't work (or even if it does), I can provide a free Excel add-in that
    lists and/or removes all of the unused "Custom Number Formats" from
    a workbook. If that interests you, send me an email request after removing XXX
    from my email address.

    Regards,
    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA
    [email protected]XX

    I have a workbook that open fine in Excel 2000.

  3. #3
    John F. Collins
    Guest

    Re: Lost Format Error

    Thanks. I will try the Open and Repair option.

    Too many format combinations could be the problem. Whoever made this
    workbook used formats instead of labels. I.e., instead of puting labels in
    one column and numbers in an adjacent column, they used formats like this:

    "Gasoline: $" 0.00
    "Food: $" 0.00
    "Clothing: $" 0.00
    "Number of angels on the head of a pin is " 0.0E+000

    Only not so simple. The actual spreadsheet is a complicated set of chemical
    measurements and model predictions occupying about two dozen pages. Despite
    the insane overuse of formating, XL2000 does not offer any complaint.

    I will e-mail you for the add-in. I'd like something simpler than an add in
    if you have it. Like a NumberFormats Collection property of the workbook,
    or something like that?

    John

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    John F. Collins
    Guest

    Re: Lost Format Error

    Open and Repair does not help. The file opens without reporting or asking
    about repairs, then pops up the "File error. Some number formats may have
    been lost!" dialog, same as before.

    After reading about"too many different cell formats", I am now less worried
    about corruption of the file. There are limits, and losing some formats is
    probably benign.

    I'll report back about results using the Add-in once I try it.

  5. #5
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: Lost Format Error

    John,

    From your description, too many custom numbers formats might
    be the major contributor to the problem. Unfortunately, there is no
    NumberFormats collection or anything close to it.

    Leo Heuser is the king of custom number format code. He wrote the
    "original" routine back in 1999 and has made updates over
    the years. Every thing I have seen, re number format codes, is based
    upon his code (including mine). It is complicated code.
    My add-in does provide an easy interface and a nicely laid out listing
    of the number formats and of course I have "improved" Leo's code. <g>

    Regards,
    Jim Cone