Automatically show new date in the modified cell

  1. #1

    Automatically show new date in the modified cell

    I like to add today's date next to the cell value.
    Everytime the cell is modified, I want the date to be updated automatically to today's date.

    Any help is appreciated.

    NYBoy

  2. #2
    Waiau Pa NZ
    have a look at
    Greetings from New Zealand
    Bill Kuunders

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Automatically show new date in the modified cell

    See

  4. #4
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: Automatically show new date in the modified cell

    NYBoy, here is one way, this is worksheet code, right click on the worksheet
    tab and view code, paste in this code

    'will put the date in column B when data is put in A2:A20
    'change range as needed
    On Error GoTo E
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A2:A20")) Is Nothing Then
    With Target
    .Offset(0, 1).Value = Format(Date, "mm/dd/yyyy")
    End With
    End If

    E:
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    End Sub

    You may also want to have a look here for more ways to do it

    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    "NYBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Thanks Guys.

  6. #6
    Thanks Guys,

    How about Timestamping in the same cell in the lower right corner where data is entered.

    Am I asking too much?

    Thanks,
    NYBoy

  7. #7
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Automatically show new date in the modified cell

    Did you look at the web page that was cited? What do you want to do
    differently?

  8. #8
    Yes, I looked at it. Thanks.
    I'm not familiar with codes. I just copied and pasted and it works.

    I want to take one step further - I want to know if time stamp date can automatically appear in the same cell where the data is entered.

    e.g. If I type the word "Released" in cell C2 and hit enter.

    Then the cell C2 appear like this

    Released
    10/04/05

  9. #9
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Automatically show new date in the modified cell

    One way:

    With Target
    If .Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
    If Not Intersect(Range("C2"), .Cells) Is Nothing Then
    If Not IsEmpty(.Value) Then
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    .Value = .Text & vbNewLine & _
    Format(Date, "mm/dd/yyyy")

  10. #10
    Thanks JE,
    Getting close to what I need.
    Little problem: When I edit the text, the old date stays there as well, and new date is also shown.
    I just want the latest date.

    Here's What I'm trying to do.
    Let's say a job
    Started on 10/2/05
    Reviewed on 10/3/05
    Released 10/4/05

    So when I edit the "Reviewed" to "Released", I only want to see "Released 10/04/05".
    Also, a small rectagular box appers after my text (whatever it is called). Can we get rid of it?

    NYBoy.

    I have to say again, however you guys generate these code languages, I can't understand but it works like magic.
    Do you write these languages as people ask or they're already writted by Microsoft?