Can Excel express a date with ordinals?

  1. #1
    Wendy D
    Guest

    Can Excel express a date with ordinals?

    Wondering if excel can express mmm dd dates including their ordinal?
    Examples are: May 4th, October 1st, June 3rd.

    Thanks!
    Wendy

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Can Excel express a date with ordinals?

    Wendy,

    For a date in A1:

    =TEXT(A1,"mmmm ") &
    IF(DAY(A1)>0,DAY(A1)&IF(AND(DAY(A1)>10,DAY(A1)<20),"th",CHOOSE(MOD(DAY(A1),10)+1,"th","st","nd","rd","th","th","th","th","th","th")),"")

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: Can Excel express a date with ordinals?

    Format->Cells->'Number' tab->Click on "Custom" and type this formula:

    [$-409]mmmm d

    Dave

  4. #4
    Wendy D
    Guest

    RE: Can Excel express a date with ordinals?

    Dave, that's the type of thing I'm looking for (although I will try the other
    suggestion if I don't find anything this easy), however when I use that in
    the custom field, I don't get the ordinals, only the full month. EX: I get
    Jaunary 4, not January 4th. Do you know what else to add?

    Thanks!

  5. #5
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Can Excel express a date with ordinals?

    Wendy,

    You can't do it through formatting, which is why I posted a formula.

  6. #6
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Can Excel express a date with ordinals?

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:38:03 -0700, "Wendy D"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Wondering if excel can express mmm dd dates including their ordinal?
    >Examples are: May 4th, October 1st, June 3rd.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >Wendy

    You can Bernie's formula, which results in a text string difficult to use in
    further calculations.

    You could also use an event triggered macro to change the format appropriately
    "on the fly" as it were. This has the advantage of preserving the
    characteristics of the entry as a "date". It won't work as written, however,
    if the entry is dependent on some cell entry from another worksheet.

    One way to set this up:

    Right click on the worksheet tab.
    Select View Code from the dropdown menu.
    Paste the code below into the window that opens.

    =============================
    Option Explicit

    Dim aoi As Range, c As Range
    Dim Suffix As String

    Set aoi = [a1:a100] 'set this to where you might be entering dates

    On Error GoTo Handler

    If Not Intersect(Target, aoi) Is Nothing Or _
    Not Intersect(Target.Dependents, aoi) Is Nothing Then

    For Each c In aoi
    If IsDate(c.Value) Then
    Select Case Day(c.Value)
    Case Is = 1, 21, 31
    Suffix = "\s\t"
    Case Is = 2, 22
    Suffix = "\n\d"
    Case Is = 3, 23
    Suffix = "\r\d"
    Case Else
    Suffix = "\t\h"
    End Select

    c.NumberFormat = "mmm d" & Suffix & " yyyy"
    End If
    Next c

    End If
    Exit Sub

    Handler: If Not Intersect(Target, aoi) Is Nothing Then Resume Next
    If Err.Description <> "No cells were found." Then
    MsgBox ("Error #" & Err & " " & Err.Description)
    --ron