Percentage Conversion

  1. #1

    Percentage Conversion

    Can anyone help please
    I wish to compare a loan at 6.25% per month with a loan at 6.96% per year. Is there a formula for converting Monthly percentage with yearly percentage?

    bri

  2. #2

    Re: Percentage Conversion

    bri wrote:
    > I wish to compare a loan at 6.25% per month with a loan at 6.96% per
    > year. Is there a formula for converting Monthly percentage with yearly
    > percentage?

    Yes. But I suspect you are misinterpreting or misstating
    the numbers.

    A loan of "6.25% per month" would be nominally 75% per
    year (6.25% * 12) and effectively nearly 107%. I presume
    that is not what you mean.

    I suspect you mean that you want to convert a nominal
    rate of 6.25% to an APR assuming a monthly period, in
    order to compare to another APR of 6.96%.

    At least two ways to do that:

    =FV(6.25%/12,12,,-1)-1

    =EFFECT(6.25%,12)

    Be sure to format the cell as Percentage with 2 decimal
    places. If EFFECT() is not available you, read the Help
    text to see how to install the Analysis Toolpak add-in.

    Caveat #1: US law requires that lenders specify at least
    the APR, I believe. Are you sure that 6.25% is not the
    APR already?

    Caveat #2: The answer above is limited to the facts in
    your question. A change in facts can alter the answer
    radically. For example, if the loan is for a mortgage,
    the APR computation is more complex, and it may differ
    from lender to lender to some degree :-(.

  3. #3

    Percentage conversion

    Thanks yes I did mean convert a nominal rate to Apr

    thanks again for your help

    bri