Can't figure out how to average

  1. #1
    mikevetteguy
    Guest

    Can't figure out how to average

    I am a teacher at a high school. I can not figure out how to do averages a
    certin way. I wanted to know how you can average a grade, in a percet way.
    Example: I have 4 tests and 2 quizes so far, and particapation grade. I want
    the test grade to be 50% of the grade, and the other two to each be 25%. I
    was wondering if there was any formula to find the average of the number, and
    what 50% of that number is, and same for the other two, except 25% of them. I
    would really appreciate the help. Thanks.

  2. #2
    BekkiM
    Guest

    RE: Can't figure out how to average

    If I understand what you're asking for, you want to find each individual
    average, then add them together after adjusting for their relative weight.

    =AVERAGE(Test Scores)*.5 + AVERAGE(Quiz Scores)*.25 + Participation*.25

    You can either list each set of scores, separated by commas (e.g.,
    (A1,A2,...An), or enter the cell range (e.g., A1:An) in the AVERAGE function