How to Delete a persistent Toolbar?

  1. #1
    alainr
    Guest

    How to Delete a persistent Toolbar?

    I have a toolbar that keeps reappearing even if I "Delete" it from the
    Toolbar Customization dialog box. I have no template open, my XLStart
    directory is empty, I have no addins attached, there is absolutely no macro
    in any module or worksheet... and yet, this toolbar keeps appearing. Where
    is it comming from? I think it was from some kind of addin that I tried in
    the past.

  2. #2

    Re: How to Delete a persistent Toolbar?

    If you open excel and see that toolbar, try going into the VBE (alt-f11).

    Hit ctrl-r to see the project explorer

    Any workbook open that you didn't expect?

    If yes, one way to find that workbook is:
    hit ctrl-g (to see the immediate window)
    type this and hit enter:
    ?workbooks("workbooknamehere.xla").fullname
    (and it could be .xls, too.)

    Then you could decide if you really want this file opened. If you don't want it
    open, then just move it to a different location (or delete it).

    If that didn't work, maybe your toolbar file is not getting updated.

    close excel
    then windows start button|search
    Search for all *.xlb files (in hidden folders, too)
    Rename all the *.xlb files to *.xlbOLD

    Start excel and see if it worked.

    If it did, delete those *.xlbOLD files and rebuild any changes you've made.

    If it didn't work, just rename them back (no harm, no foul).

  3. #3
    alainr
    Guest

    Re: How to Delete a persistent Toolbar?

    > Any workbook open that you didn't expect?

    Nothing except a blank Book1 with no code anywhere.

    > Search for all *.xlb files (in hidden folders, too)
    > Rename all the *.xlb files to *.xlbOLD
    > Start excel and see if it worked.

    Didn't work

    However, I did managed to track-down the Addin folder and delete the DLL
    that seemed to be culprit. It's funny that this DLL still got hooked-up to
    Excel even if I didn't select it in the Addins... dialog box!?

    Thanks for your help.

  4. #4
    Zack Barresse
    Guest

    Re: How to Delete a persistent Toolbar?

    You won't see DLL add-ins if you go to Tools | Add-ins.. You have to go to
    Tools | COM add-ins.. and uncheck it from the list - which you should still
    do, because it will probably still be in the list. A COM add-in is
    different from an xla add-in.

    Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack)

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5

    Re: How to Delete a persistent Toolbar?

    Ahhhhhhh.

    Good catch.

    You can add another option to your Tools dropdown.
    tools|customize|commands tab|tools category
    Scroll down the commands side until you find: COM Add-ins...

    Drag that to your favorite toolbar. I dragged it right under Addins under
    Tools.

    Then you'll see that you can toggle that addin on and off--just like
    tools|addins.

  6. #6
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: How to Delete a persistent Toolbar?

    >>COM add-ins

    Good point. And since COM Add-ins are not on the Tools menu by default they
    are especially hard to find.

    --
    Jim
    news:%[email protected]...

  7. #7
    alainr
    Guest

    Re: How to Delete a persistent Toolbar?

    > tools|customize|commands tab|tools category
    > Scroll down the commands side until you find: COM Add-ins...

    Excellent! Many thanks,