How to convert time into "block time"?

  1. #1
    Bengt Bergholm
    Guest

    How to convert time into "block time"?

    Sorry for my lack of terminology here but I need help to accomplish the
    following:

    From cells containing time in format 0:12, 1:18 etc, meaning 12 minutes
    and one hour and 18 minutes converting it according to:

    1-6 minutes = 0.1
    7-12 minutes = 0.2
    13-18 minutes = 0.3
    19-24 minutes = 0.4
    25-30 minutes = 0.5
    31-36 minutes = 0.6
    37-42 minutes = 0.7
    43-48 minutes = 0.8
    49-54 minutes = 0.9
    55-60 minutes = 1.0
    61-66 minutes = 1.1 etc etc...

    That is, rounding and displaying as 10th's of the hour depending on how
    many minutes there are in the input cell.

    Any ready-to-use formula or vba-script would be greatly appreciated!

    BoB

  2. #2
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: How to convert time into "block time"?

    A1 contains your time, the use:

    =ROUNDUP(A1*24*10,0)/10

    Mangesh

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bengt Bergholm
    Guest

    Re: How to convert time into "block time"?

    Thanks for the formular Mangesh, unfortunatley it doesn't work, Excel
    complains about som error in the formula when I try to adapt it
    (standard formula error mess). After OK'ing the dialog it highlights the
    10,0 part. See attached screenshot.

    BoB

    Mangesh Yadav wrote:
    > A1 contains your time, the use:
    >
    > =ROUNDUP(A1*24*10,0)/10
    >

    > Mangesh
    >

    > "Bengt Bergholm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Sorry for my lack of terminology here but I need help to accomplish the
    >>following:
    >>
    >> From cells containing time in format 0:12, 1:18 etc, meaning 12 minutes
    >>and one hour and 18 minutes converting it according to:
    >>
    >>1-6 minutes = 0.1
    >>7-12 minutes = 0.2
    >>13-18 minutes = 0.3
    >>19-24 minutes = 0.4
    >>25-30 minutes = 0.5
    >>31-36 minutes = 0.6
    >>37-42 minutes = 0.7
    >>43-48 minutes = 0.8
    >>49-54 minutes = 0.9
    >>55-60 minutes = 1.0
    >>61-66 minutes = 1.1 etc etc...
    >>
    >>That is, rounding and displaying as 10th's of the hour depending on how
    >>many minutes there are in the input cell.
    >>
    >>Any ready-to-use formula or vba-script would be greatly appreciated!
    >>

    >>BoB

    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: How to convert time into "block time"?

    Mangesh,

    Do you by any chance use semicolons as separators in formulas instead of
    commas?

    Sandy
    [email protected]
    Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

    news:%23mndk%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: How to convert time into "block time"?

    Hi Bengt,

    Your system requires you to use the semi-colon ( instead of a comma (,) as
    can be seen from your screen shot. So in my formula replace the comma with a
    semi-colon, something like this:

    =ROUNDUP(A1*24*10;0)/10

    Mangesh

    news:#mndk#[email protected]...

    ----

  6. #6
    Bengt Bergholm
    Guest

    Re: How to convert time into "block time"?

    You're right, it works with a semi-colon, strange though, I tested that
    already since I know of this delimiter problem but it didn't work then
    but now it does...

    Thanks!

  7. #7
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: How to convert time into "block time"?

    As long as it works, well and good.