Can I make multiple room scheduler (Excel) 15 minute increments?

  1. #1
    Viv_Martin
    Guest

    Can I make multiple room scheduler (Excel) 15 minute increments?

    How can I set-up a multiple room scheduler with15 minute increments in Excel?

  2. #2
    Conrad Carlberg
    Guest

    Re: Can I make multiple room scheduler (Excel) 15 minute increments?

    Hi Viv,

    I've done exactly that in Excel. I put the names of the rooms in Column A,
    starting in Row 2, and the times of day in Row 1, starting in Column B. Now
    you can enter the name of the event or the person into the cells that show
    the intersection of the room and the range of times.

    If you have just a few room reservations to account for, and don't need to
    schedule way out into the future, copy that sheet several times. Now it's
    convenient to change the name of each sheet so that it displays a different
    date or day-of-week.

    If you have an even more slightly complicated situation (for example, if you
    need to identify specific resources, other than the room itself, that need
    to be scheduled, or you need to schedule well into the future, or you need
    to specify a bunch of other information such as account numbers or food
    service or people's names) then you need to get a database involved. But if
    so, continue to use Excel for the data entry because the worksheet is so
    much more flexible as to layout and appearance than is a database's data
    sheet.

    --
    C^2
    Conrad Carlberg

    Excel Sales Forecasting for Dummies, Wiley, 2005

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Viv_Martin
    Guest

    Re: Can I make multiple room scheduler (Excel) 15 minute increment

    Hi Conrad

    Thanks for that; pretty much what I imagined. We basically have 7 rooms
    rented out day and night; some are rented to the same people; some are
    different. I guess I will have to experiment with colours and merged cells.
    This will extend out over six to twelve months.

    It's going to get complex as it has become a major source of income and has
    staved off the evil day!

    Viv Martin

  4. #4
    Conrad Carlberg
    Guest

    Re: Can I make multiple room scheduler (Excel) 15 minute increment

    > Thanks for that; pretty much what I imagined. We basically have 7 rooms
    > rented out day and night; some are rented to the same people; some are
    > different. I guess I will have to experiment with colours and merged

    cells.

    By all means experiment, but know that you limit what you can do with them
    when you merge cells. Colors work very well for this purpose, as to heavy
    borders on the left edge of the first cell in a scheduled event and the
    right edge of the final cell in that event. This helps to distinguish
    consecutive events.

    > This will extend out over six to twelve months.

    Do you mean your development or the range of scheduled dates? If the latter,
    I urge you to look into using, say, Access to store the data, Excel to
    enter, edit and display it, and VBA to manage the connection between the
    workbook and the database. For one thing, when you get, say, six months of
    daily worksheets, each with several rooms scheduled over a 24 hour period,
    things slow way down. I've found it much more efficient to use just one
    worksheet and repopulate it from the database in response to a user's
    clicked request for a different date.