Text Cell Overflow

  1. #1

    Text Cell Overflow

    I am using Excel 2003. I am pasting data extracted into the clipboard from a Lotus Notes application. The data includes cells of text varying from tens of characters to hundreds of characters. When I format the text cells to Type Text and Alignment Wraparound, the results are inconsistent. In some cases I get the Cell Overflow ##### with only a small amount of text. In other cases quite large amounts do not cause an overflow. My understanding is that a ell can accept something like 32K characters.

  2. #2

    Re: Text Cell Overflow

    Try formatting the cell as General (not Text).

    And if you want to see more than about 1000 characters in the cell (not the
    formulabar), you'll have to add some alt-enters every 80-100 characters.

    And if you have lots of text, you may even have to adjust the rowheight
    manually.

  3. #3

    Re: Text Cell Overflow

    If you open the file and click file|print preview, do you see anything?

    If yes, then the visible window could be just off the screen.

    Try window|arrange|tiled
    and you can adjust that window the way you want.

  4. #4

    Re: Text Cell Overflow

    Oops. Wrong thread.

  5. #5
    Thanks Dave, will save me heaps of time.