How do I make a line non-selectable?

  1. #1
    Shinka
    Guest

    How do I make a line non-selectable?

    I've got lines running through my cells showing the current yield. Problem
    is they are selected for movement when you mouse over the cells. Is there a
    way to leave them there but not being selectable? I want the operator to not
    have to fight to select the cell and not the line.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: How do I make a line non-selectable?

    Highlight the row, Format->Cells->'Protection' tab->Select 'Locked', then
    Tools->Protection->'Protect Sheet'->Uncheck "Select locked cells"

    Dave

  3. #3
    Shinka
    Guest

    RE: How do I make a line non-selectable?

    I might have been unclear or I might be missing something but if I protect
    the sheet they can't select the cells.

  4. #4
    JR
    Guest

    RE: How do I make a line non-selectable?

    I assume the line is a "drawing object". If so, select it, right click, go
    to format auto shape, then protection and make sure the locked box is
    checked. Then protect the sheet. After doing this, users cannot "select"
    the line.

  5. #5
    Shinka
    Guest

    RE: How do I make a line non-selectable?

    Thanks, this is close to working like I would like it to. My mouse pointer
    now switches to an arrow when over the line.
    My problem here is that at 100% zoom, the cells are a little smaller than
    the pointer and it is very hard to get the 'big cross cell selector pointer'
    and select a cell when it is trying to switch to an arrow all the time when
    over the drawing of the lines. Basically the resolution isn't high enough.
    Zooming in cures the problem but then you can't see the whole form. I'll
    probably just remove the lines and go with a static yield percent formula,
    instead of visual line indicators, unless I can embed the lines in the
    background so they are there but totally non interactive.

    Thanks for you help.