I want to show lapsed time as a negative value

  1. #1
    kllebou
    Guest

    I want to show lapsed time as a negative value

    I have two values which represent lapsed times. When I subtract one from the
    other it sometimes results in a negative value. This is valid for the
    spreadsheet. I can display the result in minutes only but not in hours and
    minutes. In other words I want the result to look like -6:15. Can anyone
    assist

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: I want to show lapsed time as a negative value

    Pull-down Tools > Options > Calculation
    and the the 1904 box at the bottom

    Have a good day
    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: I want to show lapsed time as a negative value

    Hi!

    Can you post an example?

    Unless you're using the 1904 date system you can't display a negative time
    format like -6:15. There are some convoluted "work arounds" but they can
    cause more grief if you need to do downstream calculations.

    Using the 1904 date system can cause problems with any other dates that you
    may already have in your file. Your dates would be off by 1462 days.

    You can display negative time in decimal format if that will suffice.

    -6:15 would be -6.25

    A1 = 5:00 PM
    B1 = 11:15 PM

    =(A1-B1)*24