why is an apostrophe in front of text

  1. #1
    mlu
    Guest

    why is an apostrophe in front of text

    After entering a text in a cell or in the function field, when i go back in
    the cell an apostrophe apear in front of the text.

    How can i correct this?

    Thank you

  2. #2

    Re: why is an apostrophe in front of text

    Try:
    Tools|Options|transition tab
    Uncheck "transition navigation keys"

    I've unchecked all those Lotus 123 transition settings. If you need them, don't
    do it. But if you're like most excel users, I'd uncheck them.

  3. #3
    mlu
    Guest

    Re: why is an apostrophe in front of text

    Thank you Dave,

    It work, no more apostrophe!!!

  4. #4

    Re: why is an apostrophe in front of text

    Well, no more _visible_ apostrophe <vbg>.

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: why is an apostrophe in front of text

    Go to Tools>Options>Transition tab and uncheck any Lotus checkboxes.

    Specifically "transition navigation keys".

    I bet you are getting other strange things happening also.

    Like hit Tab key and the whole sheet moves.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  6. #6
    Jentothephils
    Guest

    Re: why is an apostrophe in front of text

    what's the deal if none of the boxes are checked (and I still have the
    apostrophe)? please advise.

  7. #7

    Re: why is an apostrophe in front of text

    Checking the "transition navigation keys" only allows you to see that
    apostrophe.

    It doesn't clean any visible (or invisible) apostrophe.

  8. #8
    Utah
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: why is an apostrophe in front of text

    I am really curious about this as well. We are exporting financial data into excel and it places an apostraphe in front of the text in the cell. It isn't visible unless you look in the formula bar. It creates an issue when we try to run a vlookup as the text is different than what we are searching against. We have used text to column to remove it but we are wondering why we are getting it in the first place.

    Any answers that are more current? I went to Options/Advanced scrolled to the bottom and saw that I have none of the Lotus boxes checked.

    Thanks for replying.

  9. #9
    Forum Expert shg's Avatar
    The Great State of Texas
    MS-Off Ver
    2003, 2010
    Posts
    40,678

    Re: why is an apostrophe in front of text

    The apostrophe shouldn't affect your vlookup, assuming the apostrophes are not in front of numbers.
    Entia non sunt multiplicanda sine necessitate