Changing negative numbers to zero

  1. #1
    Chet T
    Guest

    Changing negative numbers to zero

    Hi all,

    Is there any way to automatically change any negative numbers in a
    cell to zero? For a spend down spreadsheet that I am developing, any
    negative numbers will be zero. I could not find a format or function
    that would do it. I would like to avoid the =if(.......>0,......,0)
    route because the formula in the cell already contains an if argument
    and it is already too complicated. Would an array formula work? I
    haven't worked with them too much. Any advice is appreciated.

    TIA

    Chet

  2. #2
    B. R.Ramachandran
    Guest

    RE: Changing negative numbers to zero

    Hi,

    If those numbers (negative as well as positive) are the outcome of a
    formula, you may modify the formula as,
    =if(formula<0,0,formula)

    Regards,
    B. R. Ramachandran

  3. #3
    B. R.Ramachandran
    Guest

    RE: Changing negative numbers to zero

    Hi,

    I apologize for my earlier reply to your posting. I didn't notice that do
    not want to use the IF function to change negative numbers to zero. Sorry.

    Regards,
    B. R. Ramachanrdan

  4. #4

    Re: Changing negative numbers to zero

    How about just:

    =max(0,youroriginalformulahere)

    If your formula returns -3, then 0 is larger and will be returned.

    If your formula returns +33, then that's bigger than 0. So you'll see 33.

  5. #5
    Chet T
    Guest

    Re: Changing negative numbers to zero

    Thanks Dave!

    That did it.

    Chet

  6. #6
    Chet T
    Guest

    Re: Changing negative numbers to zero

    Thanks for the response B.R.

    The formula already hase one if statement in it and I'm not sure that
    I am good enough at excel yet to try to deal with two if statements.

    Dave's =MAX(0,formula) response did the trick.

    Thanks again.

    Chet