Increase value of number in formula/using named cells. And use ofIF sentence

  1. #1
    Mrmojo
    Guest

    Increase value of number in formula/using named cells. And use ofIF sentence

    Hello. I am new to this group and will try to explain two problems. Hope
    you understand my poor english. My questions are probably easy for most
    of you, so I hope someone will help :-)
    Problem one.
    I am making a spreadsheet where I have to use names not cell numbers
    (can not use B1, C3 and so on). I shall use the f(X)=ax3 + bx2 + cx + d
    formula (the number 3 and 2 are exponents -if that is what is it called).
    I am going to write a start value (lets name the cell Start), a step
    value (Step) and a,b,c and d. The last four cells are named a, b, c_ and
    d. All this is quite all right but i am going to calculate the formula
    in 30 steps where the step value changes the value of the Start value
    with the value i wrote (ex if Step is 0,2 the Start value increases with
    0,2 each step down the colum - from lets say -4 to pluss 1,8). I have
    the start value in a column on the left of the column with the
    calculation. Okey so if I could use the cell numbers it would be easy.
    But as it is now I have not found a solution. If I could start by using
    start+step*0 in the formula and then autoincrease the one number with
    1 when copying the formula down the colum i would be saved. But I can
    not find a way to do this. Can anyone help ( or suggest another
    solution) I would be really pleased.
    Problem 2.
    I am going to write a program to calculate tax groups. I must use the IF
    sentence and the whole calculation is going to be made in the one
    formula. The problem is as follows. If the input is, lets say, up to
    20000 there is no extra tax (answer is 0), if you earn more than 20000
    and up to 30000 there should be calculated 13,5% tax on the value
    between 20000 and 30000. If you earn More than 30000 you must pay 19,8%
    tax of the sum above 30000 and of course 13,5% of the 10000 between 2000
    and 30000. I have the formulas (I think) Taxes=(income-20000)*13,5%
    (between 20000 and 30000) and Taxes=10000*13,5% + (income-30000)*19,5%
    (above 30000) but I am uncertain on how to use the IF sentence to solve
    it all in one fomula (or one cell). Can anyone help.

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Increase value of number in formula/using named cells. And useof IF sentence

    Hi

    One
    I'm not sure I fully understand what you are looking for, but perhaps
    the following will help.
    If you need a way to step up a number as you go down a column, take a
    look at the ROW() function.
    This returns the row number of the cell in which the formula is used

    A1 = 20*ROW() would return 20 i.e. 20 x 1, but the same formula in cell
    A5 would return 100, i.e. 20 x 5

    Two
    With your salary in cell A1
    =(A1-20000)*13.5%+MAX(A1-30000,0)*6.3%

    I have used 19.8% as the top rate of tax (13.5 + 6.3) as that is the
    figure you use in the first part of your description.
    Later, you refer to 19.5%. If 19.5% i correct, amend the formula above
    to show 6% at the end, rather than 6.3%

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  3. #3
    Mrmojo
    Guest

    Re: Increase value of number in formula/using named cells. And useof IF sentence

    Thank you for trying to help.
    I see now that I have used the words "write a program" in problem two.
    That is of course wrong. I am going to make a spreadsheet. The two
    problems refers to two different spreadsheets. Its teh first one thats
    need to stp up a number in a formula.
    In the second one the problem is how to use the an IF sentence to solve
    the tax problem. 19,8 or 19,5 does not really matter as it just is an
    example but of course I ment 19,5 all the way.
    I seems I still need som help wit this problem.

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Increase value of number in formula/using named cells. And useof IF sentence

    Hi

    Did you try the formula I gave you for the tax calculation?
    It resolves the problem without having to use IF statements.
    You can do it with IF statements, but why, if you can get the correct
    result without?

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  5. #5
    Mrmojo
    Guest

    Re: Increase value of number in formula/using named cells. And useof IF sentence

    It gives an "error in formula message". But the point was that I has to
    use the IF function. But thanks again.
    Another question. What about the problem with the cell named Start and
    Step. I have a formula that is saying Start+Step. When I copy this
    fomula down the column it is supposed to increase the value in the cell
    with the value that i wrote in the Step cell ( ex 0,2). As it is now I
    get the same number in every cell when i copy. I think I should use the
    $ one way or another but i am completely lost.

  6. #6
    Mrmojo
    Guest

    Re: Increase value of number in formula/using named cells. And useof IF sentence

    Hi once again.

    I have solved the problem using IF
    [=IF(D6<354300;"0";IF(D6<552600;(D6-354300)*13,5%;198300*13,5%+(D6-552600)*19,5%))]
    but I gained interest in your fomula. It works if the income is above
    the max limit ( i have used 552600 NKR as the max limit and 354300 as
    the lower trigging point ). But between 354300 and 552600 the answers is
    wrong. Of course I have to use the norwegian version of the MAX command
    but that is not relevant. I put in an IF sentence to get the answer 0
    when there is no top tax to calculate (income lower or equal to 354300).
    The formula now looks like this
    =IF(D6<=354300;"0";(D6-354300)*13,5%+MAX(D6-552600)*6%
    But the problem is when the income is >354200 and <=552600.
    As an example the income 400000 returns 2986,5 while the answer should
    be 6169,5. I actually is quite keen on finding a solution. Any suggestions?

  7. #7
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Increase value of number in formula/using named cells. And useof IF sentence

    Hi

    Try
    =MAX(0,(A1-354300)*13.5%+MAX(A1-552600,0)*6.3%)

    Once again, I repeat, you do NOT need to use an IF statement for this to
    work.
    The first MAX function, now takes care of the situation that he salary
    is less than the starting point for any tax to be paid.
    Obviously, you need to use the Norwegian translation of MAX.

    I am still not sure that I understand your step function problem.
    However, if it is that you want to increase the step by 0.2 as you copy
    the formula down a column, you could perhaps make use of the ROW()
    function (or Norwegian equivalent).

    For example the following formula in A1, and a value of 20 in B1
    =$B$1*Row()*0.2 would multiply 20 by row number (1) by 0.2 and give a
    result of 4
    When copied down to A2, ROW() would return 2, so the result would be 8,
    and so on as you go down the column.
    Does this help?

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  8. #8
    Is that a fact?
    Guest

    Re: Increase value of number in formula/using named cells. And useof IF sentence

    Hi

    No it idd not work. Excel will not accept the comma after the 0 after
    the first MAX(0, =MAX(0,(A1-354300)*13.5%+MAX(A1-552600,0)*6.3%)
    If I change the , to an * the formula calculates wrong.

  9. #9

    Re: Increase value of number in formula/using named cells. And useofIF sentence

    If your list separator is a semicolon, try:

    =MAX(0;(A1-354300)*13.5%+MAX(A1-552600;0)*6.3%)

    (Differences in windows settings can be irritating, huh?)

  10. #10
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Increase value of number in formula/using named cells. And useofIF sentence

    Thanks Dave

    (Differences in windows settings can be irritating, huh?)
    Absolutely. Why doesn't all the world do things the same as the Brits.!!!!<vbg>

    My fault, I did mention changing to the Norwegian version of MAX, but totally forget to mention local separators. I am sure this has now sorted it out for the OP.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  11. #11
    Is that a fact?
    Guest

    Re: Increase value of number in formula/using named cells. And useofIF sentence

    It did the trick. Thank you.