sorting (alphabetizing) while keeping data in tact.

  1. #1
    5string
    Guest

    sorting (alphabetizing) while keeping data in tact.

    have xp prof and excel 2000. consider the following list:
    smith, dale
    1222 avondale st
    anytown, usa 11111
    656-245 5656
    myers, ethel
    jans, harvey
    xerox corp
    plays golf on wed
    carter, andy

    what i'd like to do is alphabetize the list by last name BUT, keeping the
    info that goes with each name intact. when i try to do it, the program will
    alphabetize the names but the personal information does't stay under each
    name like it appears in the above list.

    any help would be app.
    tks
    --
    5string

  2. #2
    Fred
    Guest

    RE: sorting (alphabetizing) while keeping data in tact.

    You have to organize your data in a table-style, so that each entry is one
    row. You than select all rows and sort by the column you want (e.g. Name).

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: sorting (alphabetizing) while keeping data in tact.

    What Fred said is where you would need to go if you were to create
    a name and address list. In the meantime it would be possible to sort
    you list by creating two more columns strictly for sorting.

    One column for the name carried down from above if the
    data is not indented. The second for sequence numbers
    of the original data. Both must be constants not formulas.

    If you have column A with only the names in it and the other
    are in column B then you can rely on Excel keeping the
    original order for sort fields with same value. And you can
    simply use the technique(s) provided at

    Replicate values into blank cells (#fill_empty)
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...htm#fill_empty

    Basically the technique is to identify the blank cells using
    Special Cells and then to Fill Down.
    Then as long as you have constants you sort by selecting
    all cells and then sorting on Column A (Data, Sort)
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting .

    Some techniques for putting data that has a strict consistency to it
    can be found on my snakecol.htm page, but your data as shown
    is not consistent.

    ---
    HTH,