Compiling data from a particular location in similar workboooks

  1. #1
    Marguerite
    Guest

    Compiling data from a particular location in similar workboooks

    I have a large number of workbooks with identical structures. I want to get
    information from a location on a particular sheet in every one of these
    workbooks, and list it in a new workbook. Any ideas of how to do this
    without having to copy-and-paste from each of the locations or manually enter
    the source for each of these books?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Bartman
    Guest

    RE: Compiling data from a particular location in similar workboooks

    Margureite;
    You can link the workbooks. Just go to the new workbook and click "=" then
    go to the spot in the other workbook and click on the cell you want to
    transfer over, then press enter. Whenever you change it in the original it
    will update in the destination.

  3. #3
    Eric
    Guest

    RE: Compiling data from a particular location in similar workboooks

    Marguerite,

    You could use INDIRECT, but you'd still need to type in the file names that
    you wanted.

    Eric

  4. #4
    Marguerite
    Guest

    RE: Compiling data from a particular location in similar workboook

    I was hoping not to have to open and select within each individual file,
    since there are so many... got any other ideas?

  5. #5
    Marguerite
    Guest

    RE: Compiling data from a particular location in similar workboook

    This doesn't eliminate the problem of needing to access/type in all those
    different workbook files...

  6. #6
    Marcus Langell
    Guest

    RE: Compiling data from a particular location in similar workboook

    Open all workbooks and use this to reference cell Sheet1!$C$1 in all
    workbooks in column A of the active sheet:

    Sub RefWBs()
    c = 0
    For Each wb In Application.Workbooks
    c = c + 1
    ref = "=[" & wb.Name & "]Sheet1!$C$1"
    Range("A" & c) = ref
    Range("B" & c) = wb.Name 'to know which wb it came from
    Next
    End Sub

    /Marcus

  7. #7
    Debbie
    Guest

    RE: Compiling data from a particular location in similar workboook

    Marcus,
    Where do you type all of that information? Do you have to put in the name
    of the actual sheets where you listed Name.wb, etc?
    Debbie

  8. #8
    Debbie
    Guest

    RE: Compiling data from a particular location in similar workboook

    Marcus,
    Where do you type all of this information? Do I need to type the acutal
    name of the workbook where you have listed wb.Name?
    Debbie

  9. #9
    Marcus Langell
    Guest

    RE: Compiling data from a particular location in similar workboook

    You add it as a macro in the Visual Basic editor. (Have a look on Debra's
    pages http://www.contextures.com/xlvba01.html#Regular)
    Then you run that macro from the workbook where you want the result.
    Please make backup of the files before doing it if you're not familiar with
    macros.

    /Marcus