Refrencing a variable cell in a formula

  1. #1
    C Brehm
    Guest

    Refrencing a variable cell in a formula

    I need to get the value of a cell off one worksheet where the cell address
    is on another sheet.
    I have tried this:
    =CONCATENATE("'Vendor Totals'!",Sheet1!I3)

    Even tried Indirect()
    Thanks for the help.
    Carl

  2. #2
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: Refrencing a variable cell in a formula

    Worksheet references enclose in brackets (i.e. [MySheet.xls]
    Tab names include ! after references (i.e. Sheet1!)

    So your formula would be:
    ='[MySheet.xls]Sheet1'!A1

    Now, if you have a cell reference in A1 in tab Sheet1 in MySheet.xls you
    would need to format your indirect formula like so:

    =INDIRECT('[MySheet.xls]Sheet1'!A1)

    However, the reference in this A1 cell would need to follow the same format.

    Dave

  3. #3

    Re: Refrencing a variable cell in a formula

    =indirect("'Vendor totals'!"&sheet1!i3)
    or
    =indirect(CONCATENATE("'Vendor Totals'!",Sheet1!I3))