How do I average wind directions using excel?

  1. #1
    Rex Morgan
    Guest

    How do I average wind directions using excel?

    I have a data set of wind directions in degrees, rounded to the nearest 10
    degrees. I am attempting to take a average of that data set. Any help would
    be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Detroit, MI
    Are all these directions from the same quadrant or within 90 degrees (min/max)? Not sure how useful an average will be if they vary more than that.

    ANYWAY...
    Assuming that your data set is in col A, use the AVERAGE function in a formula in a separate cell; ie: =AVERAGE(A2:A10). If you precede this with the Round function, you can eliminate the decimal fraction as well: =ROUND(AVERAGE(A2:A10),0).
    Neopolitan (Florida Dreaming)

  3. #3
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: How do I average wind directions using excel?

    Hi. That's a good question because the average of 350° and 10° is due
    north, and not the average (180°)
    I "Think" that one way is to take the average of the East-West, and
    North-South components.
    With given Degrees in Column A names "Rng", see if this Array Formula will
    work...

    =DEGREES(ATAN2(AVERAGE(COS(RADIANS(Rng))),AVERAGE(SIN(RADIANS(Rng)))))

    If the answer is negative, then add 360.
    (ie if -10, then add 360: -> 350°)

    HTH :>)
    --
    Dana DeLouis