Please advise on length addition!

  1. #1
    student
    Guest

    Please advise on length addition!

    Can someone advise on how to add length in Excel, for example, I need to add
    5 ft 8 in and 7 ft 9 in. I want an answer to be also in feet and inches.

    Gladly appreciate!

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: Please advise on length addition!

    Hi

    Have a read of Chip's site:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/FeetInches.htm

    It gets a bit complex but it should set you off in the right direction!
    Hope this helps.
    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Please advise on length addition!

    See the DOLLARDE and DOLLARFR functions in help.

    =DOLLARFR(DOLLARDE(5.08,12)+DOLLARDE(7.09,12),12)

    returns 13.05. These functions are part of the Analysis ToolPak
    add-in, so you'll need to have that add-in loaded. Go to the
    Tools menu, choose Add-Ins, and check Analysis ToolPak in the
    list of available addins.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

  4. #4
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Please advise on length addition!

    In addition to Chips's excellent method, you could enter (in A1) 5 8/12 and
    (in A2) 7 9/12
    In A3 enter =A1+A2
    To keep Excel from rationalizing fractions like 8/12 to 2/3, format the cell
    as # ??/12

    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme