How do I sort a list that contains blanks that I want to keep?

  1. #1
    SHexceluser
    Guest

    How do I sort a list that contains blanks that I want to keep?

    I have copied a list from a pivot table, so there are blanks. Is there a way
    for me to sort, and maintain those blanks. For example I have a list that
    looks kind of like this:

    John Smith Red
    Orange
    Yellow
    John Doe Green
    Mary Peters Red
    Purple

    It is important to know that John Smith goes along with Red, Orange and
    Yellow. But I want to be able to sort the page so all of the people that
    only like one color are grouped together and all of the people with multiple
    colors are grouped together.

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: How do I sort a list that contains blanks that I want to keep?

    You'll have to fill in... it's not very hard to do.

    ************
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do I sort a list that contains blanks that I want to keep?

    Get rid of the blanks.

    Select column A then F5>Special>Blanks>OK

    With blanks selected, type an = sign in the active cell.

    Point with mouse to cell above then hit CTRL + ENTER to replicate formula
    throughout all blanks.

    You date will now look like...

    John Smith Red
    John Smith Orange
    John Smith Yellow

    etc.

    You can copy column A and paste special>values to get rid of the formulas.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    SHexceluser
    Guest

    Re: How do I sort a list that contains blanks that I want to keep?

    The problem is, I want to be able to group all of the people together that
    like multiple colors. Is there a way to sort so my list can read
    John Smith Red
    John Smith Orange
    John Smith Yellow
    Mary Peters Red
    Mary Peters Purple
    John Doe Green

  5. #5
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: How do I sort a list that contains blanks that I want to keep?

    I would say, then, that you need to add another column to do a COUNTIF the
    cells is equal to the name. (for instance, the name is in Column A, you
    would put =countif(A:A,A1) to count how many times John Smith appears. Copy
    it down. So, John's count will appear multiple times, but should still sort
    properly by count.
    ************

  6. #6
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: How do I sort a list that contains blanks that I want to keep?

    You could fill in the blanks, as described here:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html

    Then hide the duplicate entries with conditional formatting, as
    described here:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFor...html#Duplicate

    --
    Debra Dalgleish