AutoComplete works sometimes but not others

  1. #1
    Dave
    Guest

    AutoComplete works sometimes but not others

    Entering the same word will kick in AutoComplete sometimes but not others.
    The word typed the same way exactly.

    For example lets say I already have these 3 words ALREADY entered in 3
    different cells but in the same column and they are the only words in my
    spreadsheet beginning with the 2 letters Ne:

    Netflix
    New Rochelle
    Neophyte

    If I begin to type in another cell of this same column (don't really think
    which column should matter) like this:
    Net (Autocomplete should now kick in by adding flix)

    or if I type in:
    new (Autocomplete should now kick in by adding Rochelle (space followed by
    Rochelle)).

    or if I type in:
    neo (Autocomplete should now kick in by adding phyte).

    and so on.

    Well, don't know why but sometimes Autocomplete does this correctly but
    other times does nothing.

    What the heck is going on ?

    Copying a word, pasting it, then deleting it, then starting to type in the
    same word will sometimes get it to work,
    BUT ONLY FOR ONE ENTRY - What the hell ?

  2. #2
    Dave
    Guest

    Re: AutoComplete works sometimes but not others

    Oh, it's excel 2003 from office 2003 (or is it office XP 2003).

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: AutoComplete works sometimes but not others

    See if any of the conditions in Help ("Microsoft Excel doesn't always
    display the AutoComplete list") apply.

    Note: the Column *does* matter (even if you don't think it should).

  4. #4
    Dave
    Guest

    Re: AutoComplete works sometimes but not others

    "JE McGimpsey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > See if any of the conditions in Help ("Microsoft Excel doesn't always
    > display the AutoComplete list") apply.
    >
    > Note: the Column *does* matter (even if you don't think it should).
    >

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Entering the same word will kick in AutoComplete sometimes but not
    >> others.
    >> The word typed the same way exactly.
    >>
    >> For example lets say I already have these 3 words ALREADY entered in 3
    >> different cells but in the same column and they are the only words in my
    >> spreadsheet beginning with the 2 letters Ne:
    >>
    >> Netflix
    >> New Rochelle
    >> Neophyte
    >>
    >> If I begin to type in another cell of this same column (don't really
    >> think
    >> which column should matter) like this:
    >> Net (Autocomplete should now kick in by adding flix)
    >>
    >> or if I type in:
    >> new (Autocomplete should now kick in by adding Rochelle (space followed
    >> by
    >> Rochelle)).
    >>
    >> or if I type in:
    >> neo (Autocomplete should now kick in by adding phyte).
    >>
    >> and so on.
    >>
    >> Well, don't know why but sometimes Autocomplete does this correctly but
    >> other times does nothing.
    >>
    >> What the heck is going on ?
    >>
    >> Copying a word, pasting it, then deleting it, then starting to type in
    >> the
    >> same word will sometimes get it to work,
    >> BUT ONLY FOR ONE ENTRY - What the hell ?

    I was unable to find: "Microsoft Excel doesn't always display the
    AutoComplete list"
    or a signifigant part of it. Nor was I able to even find "AutoComplete"
    Oh well.

    Below is what I found in my Excel help file about lists

    Create a list
    Highlight the range of data that you want make into a list.
    Note You can also select the range of cells to be specified as a list by
    selecting the range of cells from the Create List dialog box.

    On the Data menu, point to List, and then click Create List.
    If the selected data has headers, select the My list has headers check box
    and click OK.
    The selected range of data is highlighted by the list indicator, and the
    most common list related functionality is made available on the List
    toolbar.

    Note If you don't see the List toolbar, on the View menu point to Toolbars,
    and then click List.

    After the list has been created, it will be identified by a blue border. In
    addition, AutoFilter drop-downs will be automatically enabled for each
    column in the list and the insert row will be added as the last row or the
    list. If you choose to add a total row by clicking Toggle Total Row on the
    List toolbar, a total row will be displayed under the insert row.

    When you select a cell, row, or column outside of the list, the list becomes
    inactive. An inactive list is surrounded by a blue border and does not
    display the insert row or AutoFilter drop-downs.

    Note The border will not be displayed if you clicked Hide Border of
    Inactive Lists on the List menu.

    About list features
    When you specify a range of cells as a list in Microsoft Excel, the list
    user interface integrates and makes readily available much of the standard
    functionality that you might want to use on the data within that list.

    AutoFilter drop-downs

    One of the common things that you do with data in Excel is to filter the
    data based on different field values. To make this functionality available
    to you when using lists, AutoFilter drop-downs are automatically added in
    the header row of a list when the list is created.

    The AutoFilter drop-down contains new functionality: Sort Ascending, Sort
    Descending, and other sort options are located at the top of the drop-down
    list.

    This functionality sorts the entire list on the field where it is chosen, in
    the specified order. The remaining drop-down selections are unchanged from
    the functionality in earlier versions of Excel.

    Insert row
    Another action that is common when you work with a list is to add a new
    rows. To that end, an insert row is displayed whenever the list is active.
    This interface element consists of a blank row, displayed directly below the
    last row of data, with a blue asterisk (*) inside the left-most cell.

    When the list is inactive, the asterisk is removed and the list border
    shifts up to the bottom of the last row of data.

    Total row

    To display a total row, click the Toggle Total Row on the List toolbar.
    This total row is displayed below the insert row when the list is active,
    and shifts up to the row just below the last row of data when the list is
    not active. When turned on, the word "Total" is displayed in the left-most
    cell, and an appropriate Subtotal formula in the right-most cell.

    The total row provides you the opportunity to display some manner of total
    for all columns in your list. When you click in any a cell in the total row,
    an arrow appears to the right of the cell. You can then click this drop-down
    list arrow to display a number of aggregate functions. When you choose one,
    a subtotal function is then inserted into that cell.

    Note You cannot manually edit the cells of the total row to add different
    functionality. You can select only an aggregate from the drop-down for use
    in the subtotal function that is inserted into the cell by Excel.

    About lists
    A Microsoft Excel list provides features designed to make it easier to
    manage and analyze groups of related data in an Excel worksheet. When you
    designate a range as a list, you can manage and analyze the data in the list
    independently of data outside the list. For example, using only the data
    contained within the list, you can filter columns, add a row for totals, and
    even create a PivotTable report, using only the data contained within the
    list.

    You can have multiple lists on your worksheet, which allows you a great deal
    of flexibility for separating your data into distinct, manageable sets
    according to your needs.

    Note You cannot create a list in a shared workbook. You must remove the
    workbook from shared use first if you want to create a list.

    Excel lists make it easy to share data with other users through integration
    with Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services. As long as you have the Web
    address and authoring rights on a SharePoint site, you can share your list
    so other people can view, edit, and update the list. If you choose to link
    the list in Excel to a list on a SharePoint site, you can synchronize
    changes with the SharePoint site so that other users can see updated data.

    When you create a list in Excel, the features of the list and the visual
    elements designed to enhance these features make it easy to identify and
    modify the contents of the list.

    Every column in the list has AutoFilter enabled by default in the header
    row. AutoFilter allows you to filter or sort your data quickly.

    The dark blue border around the list clearly distinguishes the range of
    cells that makes up your list.

    The row that contains an asterisk is called the insert row. Typing
    information in this row will automatically add data to the list and expand
    the border of the list.

    A total row can be added to your list. When you click a cell within the
    total row, a drop-down list of aggregate functions becomes available.

    You can modify the size of your list by dragging the resize handle found on
    the bottom corner of the list border.

    The benefits of lists
    Sort and filter lists You can sort lists in ascending or descending order
    or create custom sort orders. You can also filter lists to show only the
    data that meets the criteria you specify.

    Ensure data integrity For lists that are not linked to SharePoint lists,
    you can use the built-in data validation features in Excel. For example, you
    may choose to allow only numbers or dates in a column of a list. For lists
    that are linked to SharePoint lists, the list validation features of Windows
    SharePoint Services are automatically applied to the list. For example, when
    you publish and link the list to a server that is running Windows SharePoint
    Services, or when you edit an existing SharePoint list in Excel, data type
    rules are applied to each column in the list to ensure that only one type of
    data is allowed in each column.

    Format list objects You can format cells in a list the same way that you
    format cells in a worksheet.

    Compatible with lists in Windows SharePoint Services When you publish a
    list to a SharePoint site, you are creating a custom SharePoint list. If you
    choose to link the list when you publish it, or when you export an existing
    SharePoint list, you can edit that list offline and synchronize the changes
    to the SharePoint list at a later time.

    Troubleshoot lists
    Formulas are missing from my list.

    If you add a new column that contains a formula to the list, and the list is
    linked to a SharePoint site, the formula will be converted to a calculated
    value.

    You can retain formulas by publishing the list without linking it to
    Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services.

    The formula is read-only and cannot be updated in a list that is linked to a
    SharePoint site.

    You will see a formula in a list in Microsoft Excel only if the SharePoint
    list had been exported to Excel and contains a column that has been
    specified as a calculated column in a SharePoint list. This column is
    read-only and cannot be modified.

    I can't create a list in a shared workbook.

    You cannot create lists in workbooks that are shared. Additionally, the
    Share Workbook command is disabled if your workbook contains any lists. You
    must first disable workbook sharing if you want to use lists in your
    worksheet.

    I can't create a list in a protected worksheet.

    You cannot create lists in a workbook or a worksheet that is protected. You
    must first unprotect the worksheet or workbook before creating lists.

    I can't create a list when worksheets are grouped.

    If you have multiple worksheets selected, you cannot create a list because
    the worksheets have been grouped. To create a list, you must have only one
    worksheet selected.

    I cannot see the list border.

    If you cannot see the list border when the list is not active (that is, when
    a cell outside the list is selected), list borders have been hidden for
    inactive lists. On the Data menu, point to List, and then click Hide Border
    of Inactive Lists.
    When I type in a row directly under a list, the list does not automatically
    expand.

    If you have the total row displayed in the list, the list will not expand
    automatically when you type in the row below the list.
    I made changes to a list linked to a SharePoint list and I can't update my
    changes because the list has been modified on the SharePoint site.

    If the SharePoint list has setting changes to a column that been modified in
    Microsoft Excel, you will lose your changes if you choose to Refresh your
    list in the dialog box that is displayed when you try to synchronize. If you
    want to keep the changes you made in Excel, you must click Cancel in this
    dialog box.
    I can't publish a list because I have too many columns in the list.

    There are limitations to the number of columns for each data type when
    publishing a list.Data type Number of columns
    Short text 64
    Multi-line text 32
    Number 32
    Currency 32
    Date/Time 16
    Hyperlink 64

    When I copy and paste data in a list, and then type new data in the cell
    where I've pasted, I get a data validation error, even though my data
    conforms to the type restrictions of the column.

    When you copy a cell by dragging or by clicking Cut or Copy , and Paste ,
    Microsoft Excel copies the entire cell, including formulas and their
    resulting values, comments, and cell formats.

    For example, if you copy a number from a cell in a column that has been
    specified as a column of text and paste it into a cell in a column that
    requires a number, you will get a data validation error. If you then try to
    type a number into that cell to resolve the error, you will again get a data
    validation error. This validation error occurs because the format for the
    cell changed to text when you copied data to the cell from another cell that
    has text format. In text format cells, numbers are treated as text.

    To resolve this error, change the format of the cell back to a format that
    is suitable for the data type. For example, to correct the problem described
    above, do the following:

    Select the cell you want to modify and click Cells on the Format menu.
    On the Number tab of the Format Cells dialog box, select the General format.
    Click OK to apply the format.

    I get an unexpected error when I try to publish a list.

    When you publish a list, unexpected errors may occur for a number of
    reasons.

    You may not be able to access the Microsoft Windows SharePoint Web site. The
    URL specified for the SharePoint site may be incorrect or an administrator
    may have configured the SharePoint site to deny access.
    The name of the list may be too long. Give the list a shorter name before
    trying to publish it again.
    You may have cancelled the publish operation while data was being
    transferred to the SharePoint site.
    There may be a version conflict between Microsoft Excel and the SharePoint
    site.
    There may have been a schema conflict between the list in Excel and the list
    on the SharePoint site.

  5. #5
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: AutoComplete works sometimes but not others

    There really was no "Autocomplete" entry? What version of XL?

  6. #6
    Bucky

    Dave wrote:
    > Entering the same word will kick in AutoComplete sometimes but not others.
    > The word typed the same way exactly.

    Do you have any blank rows in the column? Autocomplete does not work
    after a blank cell.

  7. #7
    Tom Ogilvy

  8. #8
    Dave
    Guest

    Re: AutoComplete works sometimes but not others

    No, no blank rows in that column. Checked the blank row thing and I see
    you're right. Strange though.

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: AutoComplete works sometimes but not others

    could the problem be something like

    B2: apple
    B3: apples
    B4: a

    B4 is not going to autocomplete at all because it could be
    apple or apples if it were in fact supposed to match a previous word.

    Incidentally the words need not be all above if you had in B5
    the word applejack and had b4 as empty and then typed applej into B4
    so there would be no empty cells above and below for matching, you
    would get applejack as an autocomplete.
    ---
    HTH,