Alert when consecutive numbers in a list exceed 5

  1. #1
    Patricia
    Guest

    Alert when consecutive numbers in a list exceed 5

    Good morning

    I have thousands of records, and need to be alerted when, consecutive
    numbers (in a particular column) exceed 5. It has to be consecutive numbers
    (not sorted).

    eg
    data 1
    data 1
    data 8
    data 8
    data 8
    data 8
    data 8
    data 8

    In this case the number 8 exceeds 5.
    Would really appreciate help on this, as at the moment it is really time
    consuming.

    Thanking you in anticipation.

  2. #2
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: Alert when consecutive numbers in a list exceed 5

    Have you thought about using conditional formatting for this?

    Select the cells with the numbers you want to compare.

    Format -> Conditional Formatting

    Condition 1 -> Formula is
    =ABS(B1-B2)>=5

    Change the format for the cell so that you can visually find the change.

    Alternatively, you could add a column with a calculation of the delta
    between the two values and use AutoFilter to find the values that exceed
    your limits.

    news:%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Alert when consecutive numbers in a list exceed 5

    Say you have used cols A & B for data and numbers, then in C6 insert:

    =IF((B6=B5)+(B6=B4)+(B6=B3)+(B6=B2)+(B6=B1)=5,1,"") amd copy down

    If there are 6 consecutive numbers in column B the function will return a 1,
    otherwise a blank.
    --
    Gary's Student

  4. #4
    Patricia
    Guest

    Re: Alert when consecutive numbers in a list exceed 5

    Thank you so much for your quick response.

    I found that Gary"s Student solution does the job so well - I have used
    Barb's idea on the formula cells using conditional formatting to have the
    result highlighted.

    Thank you both again for your help, really appreciate it.

    news:[email protected]...