Keep phone number fomatting from excel to print on WORD labels

  1. #1
    Thelma Theiler
    Guest

    Keep phone number fomatting from excel to print on WORD labels

    With an older version of Microsoft Office when phone numbers in excel were
    formatted (555) 555-5555 and you mail merged them to a WORD label the
    formatting printed on to the label. The new version of these programs just
    types the numbers of 5555555555 without the ( ) and the -.
    I would like the formatting of the excel file to transfer to the WORD labels.

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Keep phone number fomatting from excel to print on WORD labels

    If you format a cell as Special > Phone number and enter 1234567890 it will
    display as : (123) 456-7890

    When the cell is copied and pasted into Word the formatting is preserved.
    --
    Gary''s Student

  3. #3

    Re: Keep phone number fomatting from excel to print on WORD labels

    Debra Dalgleish posted this to a similar question:

    There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you:

    Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/as...164951033.aspx

    And if you prefer the old Mail Merge helper, Word MVP Suzanne Barnhill
    has instructions here:

    http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/...ngWord2002.htm

    about half way down the page.

    Another way is to cheat!

    Use a helper cell with a formula like:
    =text(a1,"(000) 000-0000")
    and copy down

    This will be treated like text in your mail merge.