Go To an address specfied in a cell

  1. #1

    Question Go To an address specfied in a cell

    Hello Folks,

    Does anyone know how I can move the cursor to a cell, the address of which is specified in another cell?
    Here is the scenario. I enter a list of hours worked in a specfic week on a data entry sheet. I hit a button and the values are copied to a data summary sheet, the position depends on the Week No., the first cell is specfied as the address "Data!29" for Week 5. I reckon I can handle a recorded macro to copy and paste the data but how do I locate the correct start cell?
    I have tried copying and pasting into the GoTo box but that doesn't work.

    Data!J29

    Week No 5

    Sat 0.00
    Sun 0.00
    Mon 9.50
    Tue 9.00
    Wed 8.50
    Thur 8.00
    Fri 6.00

    Thanks in anticipation.
    Rob

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Go To an address specfied in a cell

    Hi Rob,
    If you paste something like data!29 into the cell address you get a very
    explicit error "You must enter a valid reference you want to go to, or type
    a valid name for the selection."

    You can paste or type data!29:29 or you can paste or type data!A29

    Not sure if you have one or two questions, it seems you know where you
    want to go.

    ---
    HTH,

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Smile Clarification

    Thanks for your reply David,

    The reference "Data!29" is a typo, it should read "Data!J29" as in the example below. I have only one question.

    What I am trying to do is automatically paste a range of values from one worksheet to a specified location on another worksheet (named Data! in my example).

    The address of the start cell on the worksheet Data! is J29. This address already appears on the first worksheet (it's value changes relative to the week number).

    If I was doing this manually, I would simply copy the data on the first sheet, go to the cell J29 on the sheet Data! and paste the data in.

    I want to automate this with a macro. What I don't know how to do is make the cursor move to cell Data!J29 from within the macro.

    Hope that clarifies it.

    I have a simplified example of what I'm trying to do that I'll email to anyone who may be able to help.

    Regards

    Rob
    Last edited by WightRob; 10-17-2005 at 03:31 PM.