Mailing List In Excel

  1. #1

    Mailing List In Excel

    I have a customer that wants compile his own mailing list. Since he has
    excel and my mailing software imports excel files, it seems like I
    should have him put his list together in excel.

    Is the best way to to this to designate column A as say business name,
    column B as first name, column C as last name, column D as address and
    so on and so forth. All columns would be kept consistant with their
    designations and each number line would be a seperate address. Would
    this be the proper way to have him set up his mailing list????

    Please help!

    Thanks,
    Todd

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Mailing List In Excel

    Hi Todd,
    Why are you asking us if it is your program he is going to feed.
    Otherwise, hopefully there is flexibility in your program.

    As far as a visual presentation goes I would put whatever is
    sorted in column B, and the phone number contact in column A
    as it is the phone number you would want quickest access to if
    looking at a list.

    If there are separate addresses, I would include all information
    and not leave out company name etc when you have multiple
    addresses for the same company -- makes working with
    Excel and sorting a lot easier, as well as printing address labels
    with mail merge. If you have multiple addresses or contacts
    you might use a column to indicate primary as 1 so that you
    can filter on the list as to who gets a mailing.

    They can prepare their list in any order that is easy to prepare
    initially and then move columns around for future use as
    name and address list.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm#mouse
    see " Move a Column(s) and insert between columns
    without losing data" below that topic.

    ---
    HTH,

  3. #3

    Re: Mailing List In Excel

    I will give what you say a shot. I was having some trouble getting the
    fields to imort correctly into my Mailers +4 software and thought it
    may be the way I had my fields setup.. I would love to hear how other
    people have setup mailing lists in Excel or maybe someone know of a
    good template.

    Thanks again,
    Todd

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Mailing List In Excel

    Hi Todd,
    Misunderstood, thought you had written the email package, but I see
    that "mailers +4" is commercial software that you use.

    For myself I simply use Mail Merge and zip codes are text.
    I'm guessing that you have a problem with zip codes and phone
    numbers both of which I would have as text, but the software you
    use might see that differently, and you do not indicate what fields
    you have a problem with. Mailing software might also separate
    out the house number from the street, which you can easily separate
    in Excel.
    ---
    HTH,