percentage:how do I calculate the percentage change

  1. #1
    Knowledge001
    Guest

    percentage:how do I calculate the percentage change

    I have downloaded 1025 days of stock in excel. Here is the question. In a
    column next to the original data,calculate the change in stock price from the
    previous day. This may be negative or positive. From 1023 closing prices you
    will get 1024 changes in stock price. I got the changes already, how do I
    calculate the percentage change in the stock price from the previous day.

  2. #2

    re: percentage:how do I calculate the percentage change

    Knowledge001 wrote:
    > I have downloaded 1025 days of stock in excel.
    > Here is the question. In a column next to the
    > original data,calculate the change in stock price
    > from the previous day. This may be negative or
    > positive. From 1023 closing prices you will get
    > 1024 changes in stock price. I got the changes
    > already, how do I calculate the percentage change
    > in the stock price from the previous day.

    Suppose that A1 and A2 are the closing prices for
    two consecutive trading days, A1 being earlier.
    Suppose that B2 is the price change; it should be
    computed as A2 - A1. Then B2/A1 is the percentage
    change.

    By the way, you do not need to compute the price
    change in B2, if you have no other purpose for it.
    The percentage change can be computed directly as
    A2/A1 - 1.

  3. #3
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    re: percentage:how do I calculate the percentage change

    If the days are in column A (ascending, so the latest date is at the bottom)
    and the prices are in column B, the first daily change would be in cell C3
    (assuming you have a header row 1): =(b3/b2)-1. Autofill that formula
    through column C.

  4. #4
    nastech
    Guest

    re: percentage:how do I calculate the percentage change

    I have experimented with that, and am already using: (TO-FM)/FM%
    fm is from. Even though I have some good ideas, was wondering if could get
    info / sample on: where you download data from, to get 1025 days, etc. & how
    incorporate into your sheets.. have other ideas can trade. thanks
    [email protected]