splitting cell values

  1. #1
    Diane
    Guest

    splitting cell values

    I have a cell value with something like this:

    5830 Paradise Bay - wall
    or
    Hickory Woods 26 - footing

    I need to divide these into two columns separated by the dash. So the
    address will go in one column and the other term (wall, footing, etc) will
    go into another.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Diane

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: splitting cell values

    Make sure the column to the right is empty, if not select the column to the
    right, right click the header and select insert, now select the column with
    the text you want split, do data>text to columns, select delimited, click
    next, check other and put in a dash there, click finish

    Peo Sjoblom

    (No private emails please)

    news:%23%[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: splitting cell values

    Select the cell (or column of cells???)
    and do data|text to columns
    delimited
    by other (type in the hyphen character)
    and finish up.

  4. #4
    Diane
    Guest

    Re: splitting cell values

    Thanks Peo and Dave. That's exactly what I needed. I couldn't remember where
    it was!

    Diane

    news:[email protected]...