Can logical function (IF) use non-numberic text?

  1. #1
    xfile
    Guest

    Can logical function (IF) use non-numberic text?

    Hi,

    I was wondering it is a must to use numbers for IF function?

    The purpose is to set up a confirmation sheet for verification purpose, in
    the following way:

    (1) Confirmation cell (e.g. C1): Y/N whereas Y = Yes and N = No

    (2) If the C1 = Y, D1 = Unit Price x QTY

    But it seems that I have to use numeric values, such as 1 or 0 for C1 and
    cannot use Y/N which is more like "human language".

    Or any other approach?

    Many thanks

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Can logical function (IF) use non-numberic text?

    You need to put the text in quotations, i.e.

    =IF(C1="Y",Unit price x Qty,"")

    Peo Sjoblom

    (No private emails please)

    news:%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    xfile
    Guest

    Re: Can logical function (IF) use non-numberic text?

    Hello,

    Many many thanks

    It does work that way and it is NOT case-sensitive, so the user can enter Y
    or y.

    Once again, thanks.

    news:eWw6V%[email protected]...