How to automatically rearrange data on a worksheet.

  1. #1

    How to automatically rearrange data on a worksheet.

    Hi all.
    I am a noob when it comes to Excel, so I hope there is some of you gurus who can help me out with a probably trivial problem.

    Thing is, I have a program that automatically logs data to a CSV file. All the data is added sequentally to the file.
    If I open it with Excel it looks like this:

    I would like it much more if I could convert it to something like this:

    But how can I achive that ?
    With some clever sorting or a macro ?

  2. #2
    Adrian M
    Guest

    RE: How to automatically rearrange data on a worksheet.

    You may want to try and use a pivot table. You can see how to do it in the
    middle of the page http://www.auditexcel.co.za/othertools.html . Once it is
    in the pivot table format you can pretty much sort in whatever way you like.
    Hope this helps.

  3. #3
    Cathy
    Guest

    RE: How to automatically rearrange data on a worksheet.

    You can also achieve the result you are looking for using a function called
    'Transpose'. Look in your Excel help area for instructions on how to use
    this function.

  4. #4
    Random Poster
    Guest

    Re: How to automatically rearrange data on a worksheet.

    Take a look at Excel's pivot table feature (under the Data menu).

    -RP

  5. #5
    Thanks for the responses.

    I dont think that TRANSPOSE will do the job. It only flips columns to rows and vice-versa. The data has to be sorted in several columns with the data from one VarName in one column.

    I will look into the pivot tables.

  6. #6
    Adrian,

    that link to how to work with pivot tables was awesome !

    After going throught it I could arrange and graph my data just like I wanted.

    Thanks !!