How to calculate speed given distance and mm:ss time format?

  1. #1
    rrl
    Guest

    How to calculate speed given distance and mm:ss time format?

    How can I calculate speed in mph given a predetermined distance, and a simple
    mm:ss time format? Is there a function to convert mm:ss to decimal
    equivalent of an hour? I am using Excel 2000.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How to calculate speed given distance and mm:ss time format?

    Hi

    Excel stores times as fractions of a day.
    Multiply the value by 24 to give hours
    Multiply by 1440 (24 * 60) to turn into total minutes
    Multiply by 86400 to turn the answer into seconds

    =Distance*60/time in minutes will give mph

    Regards

    Roger Govier