How to auto-enter date when cell is clicked?

  1. #1
    Ron M.
    Guest

    How to auto-enter date when cell is clicked?

    My spreadsheet is on a shared server, and has several columns of data
    entered by various people. These are columns D through L.

    In the far right column, I want them to just be able to click on the
    cell and that day's date appears. It needs to be static - not
    auto-update every time the file is opened. It's in Column L. The top
    cell is in Row 4.

    When they enter or change data on a row, the date they did it needs to
    appear in column L in that row.

    The point is to keep their data entry time to an ABSOLUTE minimum. I
    know they can select the cell and type control-;, but I'd like to
    eliminate that step if at all possible. Each person will enter/change
    data several thousand times over the year, so EVERY second I can shave
    off the process helps.

    Clicking in the cell to make the date appear would work fine, unless
    there's a better approach out there.

    Thanks very much,
    Ron M.

  2. #2

    Re: How to auto-enter date when cell is clicked?

    Clicking on the cell won't work, but making a typing change could do it.

    J.E. McGimpsey shows how at:

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How to auto-enter date when cell is clicked?

    Dim ans As Long
    On Error GoTo ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    With Target
    If .Column = 12 And .Row >= 4 Then
    .Value = Format(Date, "dd mmm yyyy")
    End If
    End With

    ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = True

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ron M.
    Guest

    Re: How to auto-enter date when cell is clicked?

    Bob: that works, but some people have trouble with it. They click on
    the cell and the date appears, true, but then if they hit return or
    enter or the down or up arrow, it puts the date in THAT cell, too. If a
    date was previously entered in that cell, it replaces it with the
    current one.

    I dunno, I think we'll just have to go with control-; .

    Thanks,
    Ron M.

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How to auto-enter date when cell is clicked?

    Do you want to check the entry, and if already present as a date, don't
    overwrite? If so

    Dim ans As Long
    On Error GoTo ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = False