excel infected?

  1. #1
    George
    Guest

    excel infected?

    (Excel 2002, SP3; winXP, SP2)

    This problem just started. When I open a particular .xls, my firewall
    reports that Excel is trying to access the internet. This doesn't
    happen with other Excel files. The IP address that it tries to access
    belong to Savvis and Level Three Communications. The spreadsheet
    doesn't have any (intentional) links of this sort.

    From this, I have to wonder if this particular file has gotten
    infected.

    Is this even possible? The history of this xls file includes contact
    with someone else's PC.

    If a spreadsheet can be infected, is there a way to clean it? My AV
    (AVG) is apparently not detecting anything.

    Thanks,
    George Eccles

  2. #2
    RWN
    Guest

    Re: excel infected?

    Not an expert, but, FWIW;
    I have this experience and, in my case, it is related to the fact that I regularly copy
    and paste data from the internet to a workbook.
    When I do this it asks for access to the internet so I don't think it's an "infection",
    but, as I said, I'm not an expert.

    --
    Regards;
    Rob
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    George
    Guest

    Re: excel infected?

    In this regard, can a macro be hidden, so it doesn't show up in <tools
    - macros>? The only (few) macros I see are all mine, and don't have
    anything that looks internet-ish.

    George

  4. #4
    George
    Guest

    Re: excel infected?

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 12:14:28 -0500, "RWN" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Not an expert, but, FWIW;
    >I have this experience and, in my case, it is related to the fact that I regularly copy
    >and paste data from the internet to a workbook.
    >When I do this it asks for access to the internet so I don't think it's an "infection",
    >but, as I said, I'm not an expert.

    Thanks for the reply. I could imagine how that might happen, that
    Excel would try to update your pasted data. In my case, I never did
    any internet cut/paste to this WB. It's pretty vanilla, though it
    does have a few macros. Also, the sites it's requesting are not
    consistent, and not anyplace I've been.

    George

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: excel infected?

    Many things can cause a macro not to show there, if they have arguments to
    the macro, if the macro is declared as Private, or if the module is
    private.

    The best way to check, is to go into the VBIDE (Alt-F11), and check the code
    modules in there.

    RP

  6. #6
    George
    Guest

    Re: excel infected?

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 19:30:01 +0100, "Bob Phillips"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Many things can cause a macro not to show there, if they have arguments to
    >the macro, if the macro is declared as Private, or if the module is
    >private.
    >
    >The best way to check, is to go into the VBIDE (Alt-F11), and check the code
    >modules in there.

    I'd done that. The only things I see are my own macros, which are few
    and short, and don't do anything related to the internet. But, you
    allude to declaring things private: can this hide it from VBIDE?

    George

  7. #7

    Re: excel infected?

    Newer versions of excel (xl2002+, I think) can be set to go off to the MS site
    for help. (I don't know what Savvis and Level Three Communications are,
    though.)

    Tools|Options|General Tab|Service Options Button
    is where you'd toggle that setting.

    This doesn't ring any bells for me:
    http://www.savvis.net
    http://www.level3.com

    One more place to look:

    Add another option to your Tools dropdown.
    tools|customize|commands tab|tools category
    Scroll down the commands side until you find: COM Add-ins...

    Drag that to your favorite toolbar. I dragged it right under Addins under
    Tools.

    Then look to see if you have any COM Add-ins loaded.

  8. #8
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: excel infected?

    No, if you can get into the VBIDE, you can see them. Private refers to the
    procedure's scope, not the VBIDE.

    There could also be code in ThisWorkbook, or in sheet code modules.

    RP

  9. #9
    George
    Guest

    Re: excel infected?

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 16:18:11 GMT, George
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >(Excel 2002, SP3; winXP, SP2)
    >
    >This problem just started. When I open a particular .xls, my firewall
    >reports that Excel is trying to access the internet. ...

    Oops: I had created a signature for my macros, and the Internet access
    started with the version where I did that. So, apparently not
    anything bad. (It seemed like I needed the signature, to allow my
    macros to run with a 'high' security setting. But, I could just be
    confused about that, too.)

    George